Seriously... a freeze warning??

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    We have a freeze warning tomorrow night, temps might go down to 29, We never really had a summer! I doubt we'll get even one tomato from the garden.

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    That stinks!

3. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I quess you picked the right username: Frosty!

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    ARRRGGGGHHHHH! [​IMG] I love tomatoes and hate seeing them poised for greatness on the vine and then witness their short lives being cut off by a killing frost. Anyone got great ideas of recipes for green tomatoes? [​IMG]

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Pick all the green tomatoes. Sort out the best ones, without blemishes. use the rejects for fried green tomatoes. Wrap the best ones in newspaper, then gently pack up in shoe boxes. This was Mom's method of having decent tomatoes for a month or two after frost. Just keep checking them to pull out ripening or rotting ones.

Sorry about the frost thing.

6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Well, gosh, Frosty, it IS the 13th of September - what did you expect? [​IMG]

I know how you feel. Debating if I can cover my tomatoes heavily enough to keep them alive tonight and tomorrow night, then it's supposed to warm up for a few more nights. [​IMG]

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Our garden was terrible too!

We had an unusally hot summer this year, I'm welcoming these cooler temps with open arms.[​IMG]. My animals are also a lot happier, especially my pullets.

8. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Will trade 100* plus days for some frost. Was 106* yesterday!!! Sorry about your cold weathert Frosty

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

After a long, rather hot and dry summer up here in Northern Michigan, I'm quite ready for autumn, actually. Although it took a lot of irrigating, the garden did very, very well this year. Everything is done except for the cauliflower and a few onions. Everything else is in the freezer, sold or in the cellar. Let it freeze.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

N&MSchroeder :

ARRRGGGGHHHHH! [​IMG] I love tomatoes and hate seeing them poised for greatness on the vine and then witness their short lives being cut off by a killing frost. Anyone got great ideas of recipes for green tomatoes? [​IMG]

We pick all our green tomatoes right before frost. Then we put them on the kitchen counter in front of the window. One by one they turn red. They aren't terribly sweet or anything, but make good tomato sandwiches, with mayo and pepper!! I once had 400 green cherry tomatoes on my counter- it took them three weeks to ripen one by one. We ate all but about a dozen that went squishy immediately.​

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by