seriously annoyed.lol help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by notsorandom, Aug 21, 2018.

1. notsorandom

notsorandom In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2018
    ok so i kind of feel like im epicly failing at this....i just saw my hen make a bm it has worms in it ...little ones i read that garlic can getridof them but it didnt say how much to give them and if its ok to eat the eggs i have already collected.any advice on deworming hens?

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    @KikisGirls is an expert on worming! Hopefully she can help you out. Good luck with your flock! ❤️

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Garlic does not work to kill an active worm infestation. Nor does DE, pumpkin, or any of the other natural wormers people recommend.

You'll want to pick up a broad spectrum wormer like Safeguard or Valbazen and worm all your birds with that.

4. notsorandom

Mar 5, 2018
    will that affect the eggs? has it already? can i buy from a vet?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You are the one who has the hen with the prolapse, right? Is it that hen who has tiny worms? Make sure those are not maggots from flies laying eggs. Do you have a picture of the eggs, poop, or vent?

If they are maggots, you will need to give a warm soak with Epsom salts, soapy water, or betadine and water to get them off. Maggot infestation is called flystrike and can be deadly.

casportpony, sourland and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  6. notsorandom

Mar 5, 2018
    same person yes different hen though...april ( prolapsed vent doesnt look like theres any worms but shes also not with the others right now ) june and may have worms ...i feel like everything is happening all at once

7. notsorandom

Mar 5, 2018
    its gross but they look like wiggly rice

8. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    I have never had to worm any of my hens, but the feed store sells dewormer and I am sure the directions are on the bottle. I wish you luck! Maybe just don’t worry about eating the eggs during the time you are treating them. I don’t think garlic would do the job! I hope you get help from some of the people on this site. I am having my own problems with one of my chickens that I am trying to get help for too:(

9. notsorandom

Mar 5, 2018
    whats wrong with her?

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That sounds like tapeworms. Get a picture when you can. Tapeworms are more difficult to get rid of than other worms in chickens, and if that is what you have, you will need a wormer with praziquantel in it. Valbazen can work with multiple dosages, but Equimax horse wormer is good. I will look up dosage. Here is a video of tapeworms:

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: