Seriously considering getting some chickens in South Alabama

Intheswamp

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 25, 2009
South Alabama
Howdy. Just wanted to come out of lurk mode and say hello. I am a rank newbie when it comes to chickens....don't have a coop, don't have a pen, don't have a chicken, don't have an egg. But, there's a good chance all of that will come together.

I'm located in south central Alabama along a state highway, but in a rural area so neighbors aren't a problem. Predators are coyotes, fox, possums, and chicken snakes (knocked a 5-footer off the purple martins' gourd rack last year....thankfully the martins came back this year!).

I have plenty of room for coop, pen, and free ranging...pastureland bordering on pine forest. I'm thinking that, though day-old-chicks have to apparently be ordered well in advance and they stay under the brooder for several more weeks, that I won't order anything until I have the coop and pen ready.

My interest is in a dual-purpose flock with the primary focus on layers. I'll probably start out by ordering a 25-lot of day-old-chicks being as this appears to be the price-break point. I'm trying to decide on whether to stick with a single breed or get a couple of different breeds. Later on I would like to hatch my own chicks and it seems that focusing on a single breed would make things less problematical. I'm currently looking at the Wyandottes and Australorps as I'm looking for good layers and birds that are docile and calm....I'm got a 2+ year old granddaughter that will probably be my ranch foreman.
smile.png
How do those two breeds handle the southern heat and humidity?

As an option to buying day-old-chicks I'm thinking of buying eggs and trying my hand at incubating my own chicks. "No no" for a newbie?? Worth trying to start out with???

Anyhow, I've been reading and reading, already got my library on chickens going (I tend to over research things that I get interested in
smile.png
). The information here on BYC is terrific...thanks to everybody for contributing!!!

Take care,
Ed

Hi, and Welcome from North Carolina!!!

I think someone new to chickens and researches as mch as you do would do a fine job with incubating! I would suggest an incubator with a preset thermostat. Simply because it is sooo much easier! I have a Hova Bator and it is wonderful!
Even if you went to the feed store and bought chicks now you would still have time to built housing for them, because they won't be ready to go outside right away.
Good luck and if you have any questions there is a lot of information and people willing to help here!
smile.png

Quote:
I had checked the selector out a while back, but went back per your prompting and confirmed the two I'm looking at would "fit in" pretty good. Thanks for reminding me about it!

Ed

Back
Top Bottom