Seriously gross...large pink worm in egg! Yikes...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Harbor, May 11, 2010.

1. Harbor

Harbor New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    This is so very gross...today I cracked open an egg and there was a worm inside that looked just like an earthworm. It was slightly pink and the same size and thickness as an earthworm (much bigger than the photos I've seen of roundworms that I've seen on this site and others).

I so wish I had a photo but it happened at work and I quickly disposed of the egg down the garbage disposal. Yuck!!! Our chickens have been eating lots of earthworms as we've been doing a lot of digging in their run and they pull them up and gobble them down.

Is there any way an earthworm can get into an egg or do we just need to worm our one year old laying flock? We also have chicks that are a few months old and are in with the big girls. Will the worming medicine hurt them if it's in the drinking water???

We have an automatic waterer. Do we need to temporarily shut it off and give water in regular waterer to dispense correct wormer dose?

Thanks for any and all suggestions. This is SO disgusting. I'm afraid to give away eggs to anyone now (let alone eat them ourselves)...

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Ew! I don't have any idea what might have happened but.... could you post pictures? [​IMG]

3. Harbor

Harbor New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I only wish I had a photo...the picture is so clear in my mind. I'll be cracking open and inspecting every egg from here on out [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I have no idea, but I would not eat those eggs until I made sure the chickens had been well wormed in a regular waterer.

5. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    I'd move this post over to emergencies and diseases to see if you can get more help/good help. I've never seen anything like that and hope you figure it out and can fix it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by