Seriously, Is the strange weather bothering anyone?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rebecca100, Jan 17, 2009.

1. rebecca100

rebecca100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    In the last year here in Ar, we have had almost every natural disaster I can think of. Starting with record tornados(record amount and in length of travel) then a hailstorm, floods, record snows-drifts over 4 ft-here!-and an earthquake under my feet! I've lived out here most of my life and any one of those listed above would have been unusual much less them all. It has me frankly worried about the coming year and what it will bring. I guess it wouldn't worry me so much if we hadn't been so directly influenced by it. We lost our home, barn, and shed and much of our fencing to the Feb. 5 tornado. All my animals except the horses and cow were killed by either the neighbors dogs or coyotes while waiting to be moved. Already this year we have had record lows. I can't help but wonder if I need to be stocking up. Anyone else feel this way or am I just paranoid?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean there isn't someone (or something) out to get you. Stock up. If you are wrong...no biggie.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It bothers me too. Two years ago we had twister touch down here, that hasn't happened in decades, where one was actually on the ground moving and plowing. We haven't had a Winter yet, it feels like fall and the trees are trying to come out already. The sun's position in the sky seems off at mid-day, too far South. I guess the world is changing again, will we freeze or fry though? And how many generations down the road?

4. rebecca100

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    Last winter my dad's cherry tree bloomed in late fall/early winter. It has never done that before. Of course there weren't any cherries later, but it was still wierd. The tree is nearly 15 years old. I do know that sometimes things like that happen, but I wonder why?

5. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Not much snow to speak of this winter. And our area depends on snowfall to melt and fill the reservoirs for summer water supplies to the valley. There's currently a strong ridge of really high pressure keeping any storms from coming in off the West Coast, thus no storms bringing precipitation. Heck, I'd even take rain at this point, though skiing would still be yucky. On the other hand, hopefully my heating season power bill will be lower this year. We are in the 50's almost every day, too warm for January in the Sierras.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

About every 10-20 years we have a longer warmer summer and the spring flowering plants bloom a second time in the fall. Usually the flowers are smaller. Doesn't seem to hurt the plants. I've lived here, in western washington, 28 years and have seen it twice. I think its great.
    Imp with a green thumb

7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    We've had really weird seasons here the past 2 years. New Years Day 06 we spent on the lake fishing at my Pop's in a rowboat because it was 60 something.... REALLY weird for the Poconos.

8. rebecca100

Apr 1, 2008
    Arkansas
    I have lived out here for so long and this last year was a lotof firsts for me. Definately first earthquake, tornado, and flood. I am used to light snows. Up until last year the heaviest snow I ever saw in my life was 8 in. We got 2 ft in our yard in march, i think. Usually it's not even freezing here at that time.

9. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

yesssss. the weather is bothering me! we haven't had low temps like this is years....not used to it and don't want to be... [​IMG]

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just a timely quote: "Times and seasons may change, revolution may succeed revolution; thrones may be cast down; and empires be dissolved; earthquakes may rend the earth from center to circumference; and mountains may be hurled out of their places; and the mighty ocean be moved from its bed, but amidst the crash of worlds and the crack of matter, truth, eternal truth, must remain unchanged, and those principles which God has revealed to His children be unscathed amidst the warring elements, and remain as firm as the throne of Christ" --- John Taylor, Dec. 15th, 1844.

I'm loving the weather in Phoenix right now, but we could really use some rain. It's supposed to be that time of year for us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by