Seriously Roopecca!?!?

Cryss

Eggcentric
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
Some of you know of my rooster, Roopecca. An accidental, late blooming boy that has been given his very own private bachelor pad because of being human aggressive. He can see the ladies but can't touch, poor guy. But that's the consequences of drawing blood, especially on hubby in a sensitive spot! Lucky to not be swimming with the dumplings!

So Mr. Pecca Roo has been in the small coop, originally used for the whole flock till I built the big coop for the ladies, since October 1st. Guess what hubby found when he reached in to clear out bedding and add fresh!
Resized_20191208_121439.jpg

I brought it indoors and placed it in a deep bowl of water. It tipped up a bit (1 or 2 o clock angle) but stayed on the bottom. I don't know what to make of this boy!:th:barnie
:lau:lau:lau

Is it possible one of the pullets or hens snuck in an laid this egg some time ago?
I know none of the ladies can get inside with him. The only possible option is that we missed this egg when cleaning out before moving him in. That means we missed it every single time we scooped out his poops since moving in. That means it is now about 10 weeks old. So strange since it was just laying right on top of the pine shavings as seen in the picture.
I swear if I find another one I'm calling the newspapers!:eek::lau:lau

That is truly strange. You had to have missed the egg previously, because he certainly looks like a boy. Unless chickens can be hermaphrodites, having female and male parts (ie, a rooster's gonads and a hen's oviduct system). But I've never heard of a true chicken hermaphrodite....just hens whose ovaries have withered, and they develop some male traits, but certainly not to the extent of looking just like a boy.

That is truly strange. You had to have missed the egg previously, because he certainly looks like a boy. Unless chickens can be hermaphrodites, having female and male parts (ie, a rooster's gonads and a hen's oviduct system). But I've never heard of a true chicken hermaphrodite....just hens whose ovaries have withered, and they develop some male traits, but certainly not to the extent of looking just like a boy.
I know he's a boy (handsome one at that) because I used to find fertile eggs when he had access to the ladies. When he was young we were positive he was a female because his brother had developed all the usual rooster traits, crowed, and rehomed about a month before Roopecca crowed or looked male. He was a late bloomer and it seemed to happen overnight.

Back
Top Bottom