SERIOUSLY?? Snow in May???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HHandbasket, May 15, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Okay, I'm new to this mountain living and stuff, but day before yesterday, it was almost 80 degrees outside & I was walking down by the alpaca pastures wearing a skirt and sandals. It was GORGEOUS. Today's my day off, and there were BIG PLANS to actually get some fall gardening underway here. I am behind because of the move 6 weeks ago & didn't get a spring garden this year because our former landlords announced they were selling our house & that we had to move as soon as possible. They told us this RIGHT after I had finished all the ground prep, had augmented the soil with prepared compost and turned it over and made 11 rows, 12 feet long each for planting food. The next day after completing this (which I had worked on for 3 weeks by hand with a shovel and hoe since our tiller was broken), we were told we would have to move. So no spring garden.

It's apparently a good thing I didn't get one in the ground once we moved here because we woke up this morning and are under about half a foot of snow.

On the 15th of May. In California.

I've never known it to snow here at this low of an elevation past early April, and even THAT is rare.

So much for gardening today.

edited for typos

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Please send a little of that cold air this way.

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Oh my....And I thought it was bad when it snowed the end of March....

Too bad about your garden, glad you didn't get one planted here yet! Good luck!

4. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    We're in the same boat. We are at 6900 feet and got about 6" in non drifted areas along with a lot of sleety rain. I just got done tilling the day before. Now the garden is wet and can't be planted. It is snowing lightly right now.

Not complaining though. We didn't get any water during winter or the first half of spring. The pastures are already looking better.

Sorry about all that work you did for naught. That really sucks.

5. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    *Sigh** glad to know someone else is suffering with me. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

First time we lived in Utah (Hill AFB), it snowed on June 2. Don't want that anymore!

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've lived in this area of upstate NY just north of PA for 50 years, we have had years when it has snowed in May. I remember one in particular where we had school closed on prom weekend(midMay) for a foot of snow--primarily since the trees were leafed out the snow brought down power lines and there was no electricity. Around here no one that has lived here for a while will think of seriously planting anything but cold-hardy plants until after Memorial Day unless they protect them.

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Well, I am learning that my gardening season is very different here, even though we are only living a little over an hour's drive from where we were before. The difference between living at 170 feet above sea level and living at about 2500 feet is pretty significant. Don't get me wrong... I *LOVE* living here! Just was not mentally prepared for snow in mid May!

It looks like it is starting to slow down a little bit. An hour and a half ago, it almost looked like a light blizzard for only a few minutes there, but both the wind and the snow have calmed considerably.

I do have to say... complaining though I am that this has interfered with my plans for the day, it suuuuuuuure is pretty to look at.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've lived in the mountains (different mountains than you, but same elevation) for 12 years now, and we have had snow in May before. This year has been a doosy though.

10. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:HHandbasket, you are not alone! Brace yourself, just heard on the news that we can expect more snow today! The rule of thumb in the MotherLode has always been "don't plant until after Mother's Day". Last year it snowed looong after Mother's Day and killed all my tomatoes, zuchini, cucumber, everything I planted [​IMG] So I started over and guess what? Just when everything came ripe for harvest, it snowed again [​IMG] I love living here too, but wish Mother Nature would cooperate [​IMG] I waited this year though. All my plant starts are in the garage safe and sound [​IMG] and planted my spinach and lettuce in an old wheelbarrow, just had to roll it in the house last night. Take that [​IMG] Mother Nature

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by