Seriously these Bob White are mean!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by moeell1, Jun 19, 2010.

1. moeell1

moeell1 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Boy this is lot of work being a mom to over 50 bobwhite quails and all different ages and I have one really mean one, so I put him alone, but he's still in the cage with the older ones. Are they always been? It's hard for me too watch them be mean! How do you keep them from being so mean, or how do i keep myself from feeling awful for the little ones that are being attacked? Thanks!
    Corinna

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Why do folks grow quail? For the meat or eggs?

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I try not to mix different ages of birds. Coturnix are a little more laid back then bobs I have had a little sucess with them being about a week apart but much older then that they establish a pecking order sometimes it is pretty brutal .

"Why do folks grow quail? For the meat or eggs?"

I enjoy fresh eggs and I enjoy quail meat I also enjoy just caring for my birds and playing with them. My Bobs are not nearly as sweet or goofy as my Japanese quail they corts are a blast . I am getting 2-2 1/2 dz eggs a day I sell a few trying to help pay the feed bill I just sold 5 dz yesterday.

4. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:For the meat, & for the eggs (so I can keep reproducing more meat).

5. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Adolescent - or - Mature..........the bigger the crowd, the more Bullies (and Bulliettes) you're gonna have.........especially when the boys get "real interested" in the girls. [​IMG] It's just their nature! Some days, they act like they don't even like themselves. Put'em a mirror in the pen so they can shadow-box with themselves. That kinda gives'em a little artificial competition to occupy their time. [​IMG]

6. moeell1

May 17, 2010
    Mine are all babies the oldest just almost 2 weeks old! See I wish I would of known my hubby wanted to raise quails, I would of done my research first and read that they are mean, but I didn't know for awhile and well I have 4 different groups *the last in the incrubator due for lockdown tomorrow* so its been tough! I have 3 in recovery room because there poor little feet have been pecked to the point of being bloody, and I'm not one that can just watch it and let it go! So I've been STRESSING OUT OVER THIS!!!

Corinna

7. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:not sure how big your brooder is but you may have too many babies in too small a brooder over crowding can bring out the worst in them. if they are too hot it can give the same result. One of my uncles explained to me that in nature there is a pecking order most days we have no control over the pecking order of nature IT HAPPENS and we are powerless to change it,every chance I get my birds are extremely well cared for but they have a pecking order as well and I cannot be with them 24/7 so if I control them for a few moments when I leave them they will go back to their pecking order . good luck

8. moeell1

May 17, 2010
    Well maybe the brooder is too small? I'll try and take pictures but I don't have them all in there! Different ages are in different brooders! I have one really mean one that all he/she does is pecks at the other feet butt area so I separated him, I just can't watch it! I'll try him back in again soon but for now he's alone but in the same cage as the other ones!! I love these little guys but my chickens where by far much easier [​IMG]

9. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I have seen straw recommended as bedding to break up the shape of their feet their toes kina look like worms to each other I have always used a red light for the brooder I adjust the heat level until they are spread out not all bunched up or all the way out to the sides I had a few corts that were picking toes in the bator I did not know they would start that early [​IMG]

10. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    You might also consider Coturnix as an option in the future. I have had 1 testy roo and it turned out he was being affected by the 24 hour brooder nights next to him. He went to a slightly dimmer area and all was well. My Coturnix are far calmer than most of my chickens [​IMG]

These are a few, hanging out by the open door of their cage to see what I was up to with the camera.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by