Seriously? Weight loss system for dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just saw a commercial for a weight loss system for dogs made by science diet. It had pre-portioned meals and special biscuits. My mouth just dropped open. Now I don't know if this works or not, but I can't believe people would spend money on that! I guess I don't understand why people just can't measure out the proper amount for your dog and do research on weightloss for dogs rather than spend a ton of money on a weightloss system. I know science diet's regular food is expensive...I can't even imagine how much this must be!

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I agree; but then I get frustrated with owners who allow their pets to get obese in the first place. I may not be at my ideal weight, but I make darn sure that my dogs are.

And as a funny aside, SD sent our clinic two sample 'systems'. My boss didnt' want them, told me to throw them away or take them home or whatever. I think it's R/D food. My friend took one box home, and set it on her dining room table. She has three beagles, who worked together, pulled the table runner off and the box fell on the floor. They ate the ENTIRE box of food in one sitting. So much for 'diet' food!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you got it, but someone will buy it. instead of just taking there dog for a walk (which is good for dog and owner) and givng them less treats and junk to eat

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yes, very serious. They're even having a competition at the vet school here at Texas A&M - "Biggest Loser" for pets. Winner gets a free year of dog or cat food.

Really?? How hard is it to feed your dog less? It's not like they can dig through the refrigerator!

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    its a case of people treating the dog like a person, not a dog. my sister in law is like that.

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:My same friend who's dogs ate the box of 'diet system' food, actually has to keep her refrigerator LOCKED. One of her beagles figured out how to open it and help himself. [​IMG]

I agree that most dogs aren't quite that smart, though.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My dog is overweight. I can stop free ranging the chickens so he can't get at their poop, or I can let him out only on a leash, which is more than I can physically do. Granted, there is no sense in an overweight dog who eats only what people give him. It wasn't good news when the vet said chicken poop is calorie dense.

I think I might have a cure, though. He only likes those big round poops so I started sprinkling cayenne on them. Time will tell, but I may have broken him!!!

It's not just pre-portioned doggy diet meals. The vast majority of what's for sale out there is not only totally unnecessary, it's usually junk, doesn't work or works only for a week. When I was a kid you expected what you bought to actually do what it was sold to do. Now it's iffy at best. About half of what's in the grocery store is there in the hope you will decide to "just try it." Going to Wallyworld is a pain because it's hard to get out of there with just what you went in there for, even when you know better.

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:o heck dont get me started! [​IMG]

I am babysitting my parents dog for a long term placement.. (they had a house fire Dec 4 2010 and cant have the dog at the rental house)... so anyway... my parents dog is a chow husky cross that will eat off your fork...

my dad feeds him everything he eats..i try to tell him duhhhhh! thats not good. He steals cookies and human food out of my kids hands and off their plates... he will not eat unless we are eating and he gets 2 beggin strips (the dog treat) on top of every meal. + what ever they are having for dinner as a "taste"...

I REFUSE to allow the dog in the dining room while we are eating.. my dogs know when they hear me pull the silverware out to set the table they all 4 of them head for bed.. we dont even have to close the bed doors they just go... nope not him... I dont know how many tiles he almost wore what ever I was carrying in my hands cause he gets under foot.

my parents let him sleep in bed with them... heck no! he sleeps in the back hall with my dogs.... and I get "BUT HE"S OUR BABY!"... To freekin bad! hes in my house...

wow sorry mini rant over.... back to your normal programming [​IMG]

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Think of it as a tax on the luxury of 'extreme laziness' [​IMG]

(I am as flabbergasted as you at the concept, but not actually *surprised*, you know?)

Pat

10. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Think of it as a tax on the luxury of 'extreme laziness' [​IMG]

(I am as flabbergasted as you at the concept, but not actually *surprised*, you know?)

Pat

Too bad this doesn't surprise us, no?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by