serma?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksct, Oct 16, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    Can anyone tell and show what sermas look like (maybe age progression), temperment, size, egg color, broodiness etc?

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Seramas are extremely small and very friendly. They lay a small egg. They tend to go broody.

Heres pics of some of my chicks and adults

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Check out my page for what they are supposed to look like. The SCNA has good information and links to good sites at scnaonline.org

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Mine are Serama hybrids, and they are little darlings. Smart, friendly, full of personality. I have two hens that just started laying; their brown eggs are about 1/3 the size of a standard, "large" egg. So far (two weeks), the two hens are both laying an egg every day, which has surprised me.

5. elmo

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Ondra's Seramas :

Check out my page for what they are supposed to look like. The SCNA has good information and links to good sites at scnaonline.org

By the way, I've wanted to ask about cold hardiness. I'm building my Serama hybrids an insulated winter coop because I'm nervous about how they'll handle their first winter here in North Texas. We occasionally get freezing temperatures.

One night two weeks ago the night time temperatures dipped down into the upper 40's, and since my winter coop wasn't ready, I brought the whole flock (five of them) indoors and put them in our dove aviary (I made the doves sleep on top of the budgies' cage...neither the doves nor the budgies were too pleased about the arrangement). It took me an hour to clean out the dove aviary the next morning, so I hope I don't have to do that again very often.​

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine are on the plastic covered screened porch with the nights reaching below freezing and no problems. I'm told they should at least do fine down into the 20s F. After that it seems to depend who you ask and where they live. A few in northern climates have said they'll do ok to 0F and that's my current goal for the little bantam coop that's being delivered tomorrow. If that doesn't work though they will go back in the pen on the porch and with the space heater I should be able to keep it up above 20F. It does mean I won't be expanding my serama flock beyond about 6 birds if that's how I have to winter them. We'll find out in about 2months.

7. elmo

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Thanks, that really helps! Because mine are hybrids, most of them are bigger than the typical Serama, so that should make them a bit more cold hardy. But the smallest one is only about 350 grams, so I'm a little more concerned about her.

8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:By the way, I've wanted to ask about cold hardiness. I'm building my Serama hybrids an insulated winter coop because I'm nervous about how they'll handle their first winter here in North Texas. We occasionally get freezing temperatures.

One night two weeks ago the night time temperatures dipped down into the upper 40's, and since my winter coop wasn't ready, I brought the whole flock (five of them) indoors and put them in our dove aviary (I made the doves sleep on top of the budgies' cage...neither the doves nor the budgies were too pleased about the arrangement). It took me an hour to clean out the dove aviary the next morning, so I hope I don't have to do that again very often.

I personally don't let mine get below 35 or 4 degrees, but others have had success with lower temperatures.

Another good site is jerrysseramasllc.com. Very informative.

9. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Each winter here in MA we get below zero temps for atleast a few days so I was worried about the small flock of Seramas I hatched this summer. I got the ok from hubby to keep them in the "bird" room if needed but our screened (and windowed) in porch I may build them a small coop and run. I'm always nervous putting heaters in coops and I like to keep ventilation in the coops for health. My old english hen, crossbred and 2 Wyandotte hens did fine the last two winters with my 10 x 10 dog kennel all tarped in and straw on the floor.

T

10. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i have a nice pair of seramas, the female is just starting to be in her pose alot so ill get some fresh pics of her and post them tomorrow, in the meantime, if you look in my sig. page you will see a link to a thread with a bunch of pics of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by