Set 14 Pekins April 26/10

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by psittacinekane, May 21, 2010.

1. psittacinekane

psittacinekane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    As the subject states, I set 14 Pekin eggs on April 26, and followed everyone's instructions here (It's been so helpful to be able to refer to this BB and your contributions).

All the appropriate milestones were met by the eggs throughout my candling of them. By my calculation, they're due to start something/anything (?) on Monday, May 24, and they're in lockdown right now. I've got them in a still air set-up Avitech aquarium, and the humidity is holding at a steady 74, with a 37.4 temp reading for their lockdown.

My concern is this: I've only ever seen a few eggs do the rocking and rolling thing, and definitely haven't seen that in a few days now. I'm worried that I should be seeing or at least hearing something. (I never did hear anything peeping throughout.)

Am I just overanxious, or have I done something wrong along the way? This has been the longest 28 days I can ever recall.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    You are doing everything right and you are almost to day 28....it takes a lot of patience! You might see some rocking, but not that often. On Sunday you will probably see pips and then they will zip and hatch on Monday.

3. psittacinekane

Jul 12, 2009
    Thanks! I guess I'm just going to have to get better at the patience thingee. [​IMG]

4. psittacinekane

Jul 12, 2009
    So far, one Pekin out of 14 has almost hatched as of this morning (May 23), and I say "almost" in that its beak is sticking out, and it's peeping away like crazy. [​IMG] No one else has made a move or pipped, but then, they're supposed to hatch tomorrow. I'm hoping I didn't do something really wrong here with the humidity in the first 18 days.

This "almost hatched" one didn't unzip as it was supposed to. It merely poked most of its beak out, and now seems to be taking a rest. Temp is at 37.8 (?) and the humidity is at 73%.

After my next round of 14 Buff Orpington eggs that are already on Day 4 in my big Grombach, I don't know that I'll do this again. The suspense and self-doubt are killing me. [​IMG]

5. psittacinekane

Jul 12, 2009
    Well the one that started pipping last night finally had to be assisted out, and is still attached to his shell by the dried-out umbilical. Nothing else had pipped whatsoever out of the other 13. I'm not holding out any hope, as I think maybe they drowned (?). Too much humidity or something. [​IMG]

I feel terrible that I did something wrong with these guys and hope I can manage with the Orpingtons.

Ugh.

6. psittacinekane

Jul 12, 2009
    This is Dirt Dibbler, the sole survivor of my 14 fertile Pekin eggs. If anyone ever asks me my opinion on Avistat still air systems for ANYTHING other than brooding, they'd get an earful.

Anyway, here is his happy self, and the apple of my dog's eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    He's so cute! [​IMG] I am sorry you'r hatch didn't go well. [​IMG] I would leave the eggs a little longer and see how it goes, maybe they are just late hatchers. [​IMG]

8. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Dirt Dibbler is adorable! [​IMG]

I had a little Indian Runner hatch last week that was a sole survivor out of 5 eggs. I named her Pebbles. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  9. psittacinekane

Jul 12, 2009
    Thank you. He's quite the little handful, being the only baby in the house right now.

Post pics of Pebbles! [​IMG]

10. psittacinekane

Jul 12, 2009
    Quote:Absolute epitome of cute! Ducks have sooo much personality!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by