set 24 R.I.R eggs tonight. egg turner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dadsdeercamp, Feb 9, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    this is my 2nd batch of R.I.R eggs from a local farm.the first batch i hatched out 11 out of 12. but this is my first time using an egg turner just wondering if this looks good. 99.5 with fan and humidity right around 35%
    [​IMG]

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Looks good to me.

Good Luck on the hatch

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Nice looking eggs! Hope you get 100% [​IMG]

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Looks fine. Fire it up!

5. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    I set 10 Orpington Eggs tonight as well without egg tuner. I have a homemade bator with manual egg turner.

6. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    thanks all i feel alot better. i think i might miss turning them by hand

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Only egg turner I have is this one:

[​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Its the one Ive always considered my favorite.

I never had much faith in the electric powered egg 'tippers' - I cant even call them turners. I've tried them, and have yet to be convinced of their overall effectiveness.
    I know a real life, country man who has hatched more birds than most of us can count on ALL our hands put together. Im talking everything, too, from quail to peafowl.
    When he heard I was incubating my own chickens, his comments to me were something like this:

"'Auto Turners?' Boy, c'mere and lemme slap your head! Quit messin' around with all that tricky junk! There aint no hen knows nothing about that stuff, is there?
    YOU gotta be there to turn the eggs and keep an eye on things. Just reach in, flatten out your hand and roll them suckers around a couple times every day."

I like the notion of auto turning, but I think there are better methods than those plastic tippers... most of which go ignored.
    So in the styro 'bators, I just pop out a window and roll em around through the openings.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by