Set 50 eggs last night...lets see what develops

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lampshadeee69, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Title's basically self explainatory. Ive got various mixes of laghorns, sebrights, game bantams, white rock, polish, and black sex linked chickens in these eggsm and i dont know whose egg is which or what rooster fertilized which egg. This will be fun hahah [​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Sounds like a fun hatch.

I did this earlier this year and hatched out some cool mixes.

They're a bit funny looking since they are mixed with Polish, d'Uccle, or Silkie.

[​IMG]

3. Its day 11. Around day 7 I candled and noticed only 6 of my eggs had actually set, the rest i think were either sitting in the coop too long or froze, or both. Anyway, the hens only laid 4 eggs after I put the original 50 in, so I put in the other 4 on day 7. Hopefully I wont lose any more!

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Good luck! I hope your hatch is successful and you get more chicks than you thought. Incubating is such a gamble. My first time was so successful. Then last month I set 73 - and only got 7 chicks from it. [​IMG] I hope you have much more good luck than I did!

5. Had an incubator malfunction. 3 eggs left. I HOPE THEY MAKE IT!

6. Another incubator malfunction killed the last 3 on day 18. Luckily, the leghorn started laying again. I'll probably just rename this blog. Also, due to my lack of success with hatching chicks ill try hatching small ammounts of eggs.

7. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I have some Rhode island reds, and barred rock hens in the same coop at the moment, and want to hatch some barred reds so bad. This is the first winter I have been getting eggs, I just recently changed to a different feed, and I am never going back.

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear about your incubator malfunctions. [​IMG]

What happened?

9. quintinp

I have some Rhode island reds, and barred rock hens in the same coop at the moment, and want

12/19/2011 3:34 pm

to hatch some barred reds so bad. This is the first winter I have been getting eggs, I just recently changed to a different feed, and I am never going back.

Feed makes a huge difference ive found out, and many people have said so on other pages here. I suggest giving them something with a lot of calcium and protein as a supplement if you really want to increase egg production.

AlienChick

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear about your incubator malfunctions.

12/19/2011 3:37 pm

What happened?

As for my malfunctions, im not too sure. I think it might have been due to the fact that i use an electric thermometor used for testing food temperatures instead of the one it came with. This way i can just glance and know weather to adjust if im in a hurry. It has a really long cord from the probe to the actual thermometor. I think when i put the top back on to the styrofoam incubator the cord got stuck under it, keeping it from being sealed and letting in cold air.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by