Set 65 Serama Eggs Today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Patchesnposies, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I have been setting my Serama eggs for the past couple of months and have had fairly good hatches, each hatch number improving until today's hatch which was 100% and I now have 12 beautiful healthy chicks in the brooder. They are all eating and drinking on their own already and are very lively.

I have been collecting my Serama eggs for the last 3 weeks and because it has been really hot here in New Mexico I decided not to offer them for sale but I couldn't bear to toss them either. I decided to go ahead and set them into two incubators and see what happens.

I figure the hatch rate will drop for the oldest eggs, but we'll see. The oldest eggs I have ever set were month old duck eggs that were kept in can in a cool dark pantry and they all hatched much to our surprise.

Anyone ever set eggs that were 3 weeks old?
  2. CrazyChicken12

CrazyChicken12 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Nope oldest i have set them is like 2 weeks!
  3. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:How'd they do? Did many hatch?
  4. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    I set serama eggs that were just about 3 weeks old. Out of the six I incubated, three hatched. Two died during lockdown and one didn't develop. The two that died during lockdown were fully developed. Good luck with your hatch!
  5. Patchesnposies

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Quote:Thanks! Not all of the 65 eggs are 3 weeks old, the oldest of them are and then it goes down in number of days old until the few that were hatched the day I set them. I am not expecting all 65 or even half of that to more or less boils down to my just not wanting to throw them away. So I set them all. We'll see what happens!

Have you successfully hatched OTHER Serama babies before? How old were the eggs approximately? If you have, I'd love to know what you keep the temp and the humidity at throughout incubation, how many times a day do you turn (I don't have an automatic turner) and on what day you lock down. Do you increase humidity at lock down and if so, how much...

This last 100% hatch I upped the temp slightly and kept the humidity static throughout right around 70% (we are in the high desert and it is dry) and they pipped on day 19 and hatched within 12 hours. My serama chicks usually don't hatch until day 21.

Edited for clarity......don't think it helped! LOL
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Oooh wow! [​IMG] Lots of eggs!
    Happy Hatching!
    Wishing you the best of luck! [​IMG]
  7. TsaLaGi Acres

TsaLaGi Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Wow, good luck on your hatch!! We've not yet gotten to incubate any eggs (our seramas are not old enough yet) but anxiously awaiting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by