Set December 25th

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlleysFarm, Jan 4, 2013.

1. AlleysFarm

AlleysFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    If anything hatches out of these eggs it will be a miracle. These were my disastrously shipped eggs.. Out of the 14 one was broken, one was discarded d/t double yoke, out of the remaining so far, 2 were frizzle Cochin's one is clearly developing good movement, can't really see vascular well, 2nd Cochin see large blk dot doesn't look like it's moving and no vascular so figuring early death, the rest of the eggs are copper Marin's four are left cannot see vascular but the egg is clearly filled with something as I can see shadowing.

On a brighter note I found some local Marin hatching eggs so I have to give these guys till then to see if any miracle chicks arrive before I try again. Of the clear eggs none were fertile.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I hope they surprise you . And you get a great hatch.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Shipped eggs are always a gamble. I hope you get some chicks out of there!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. AlleysFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    They go in lockdown next Saturday.. :) I know one Cochin at least will hopefully make it to lockdown and possibly two Marin, the others still look clear to me.. still a lot of factors could go wrong watching temps and humidity closely.. hope the Cochin makes it to hatch and has a buddy or two. ... :)

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Fingers Crossed!!! Go Peepers GO!!

7. AlleysFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    Update...

Day 18 and the little Cochin Frizzle just have have an internal pip.. I put them into lock down today and figured I'd double check them prior to locking them in.. Marins show potentially one but no internal pips yet.. perhaps a miracle chick by Monday.. It would be a few days early but who knows. I plan on picking up some local hatching eggs next week to try again :)

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. AlleysFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    Well it's official hatch day.. Cochin egg is peeping away no external pip but hopefully soon.. the only other egg that showed signs of movement no internal pip and no more movement and no peeping.. so more in likely died the other day. Oh well fingers crossed that this little guy can external pip.. he certainly sounds strong.. [​IMG]

10. AlleysFarm

Dec 29, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    So zero chicks from eBay shipped eggs experience:

[​IMG] well the bator started to stink this afternoon and the Marin egg was weeping I didn't want it to explode, Cochin stopped peeping since this AM so I decided since I was taking stinky egg out to check on it.. it quit.. :( I ectopsied it and it looks like a shrink wrapped chick.. I had a humidity monitor in there the humidity during incubation never dropped below 40% went as high as 60% however the air cell was half the egg so I figured it meant the humidity was too low during incubation. I did the salt water test with my humidity monitor and it was only off by 1% so adjusted accordingly. During lock down I raised the humidity to 70% it was doing well till mid morning had internal pipped back on day 18 but never external pipped.

[​IMG]Never buying eggs off eBay again!

So I disinfected the bator and have it reset up I'm getting local hatching eggs on Saturday so maybe I'll have better luck. I'm thinking of trying to find a cooler and making my own bator though as this borrowed HovaBator just isn't cutting it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by