Set eggs 48 hours apart ~ when to take the first hatches out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GaNewChick, May 5, 2009.

1. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I set 4 in the incubator and then set 4 more 48 hours later. 2 of the original 4 hatched on May 3 (3:00 pm and 11:40 pm). The other 2 have nothing yet. Out of the 4 set 48 hours later, one was pulled out on day 18. One of the remaining 3 hatched sometime during the night and is dragging it's shell around (stuck to it). It is day 23 for the original 2 and day 21 for the remaining 2. Those still have time to hatch. When should I pull the one's out that have already hatched. Are they all good for at least 24 more hours before opening the plastic lid to quickly lift them out without affecting the potential hatching process of those that are on day 21 now.

Original thread on hatching process ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=175130

Thanks
    everyone~

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If they've been in there 48 hours you need to take them out and give them access to food and water. When I have to do that during hatching I usually grab them out quickly and put in a warm wet paper towel at the same time to make sure the humidity stays up.

3. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Gotcha! That was what I needed to know. I was thinking it was time for them to come out.

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by