Set eggs 9/27/10 - anyone care to join?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Lisser, Sep 28, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I set 14 silkie eggs yesterday at 5pm. They had a long trip through the mail and then sat in the post office over the weekend but I'm hoping I'll get a good hatch!

Anyone care to join me? [​IMG]

Melissa

2. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I set 4 eggs from my barnyard flock on the 25... testing out my bator after being broke for a couple of months. Good Luck on your hatch [​IMG]

3. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Hoping for one more egg from my only laying hen today...I'll be setting them tonight if so. Technically since they are Serama they should hatch day 19, right? [​IMG]

4. The Lisser

Whoo hoo! Welcome to the thread, Jen4 and Nekhebet!!!

Hope your bator is working good now, Jen4, and Nekhebet, if your Seramas hatch early, it will give us something to drool over until day 21!

[​IMG] Melissa

5. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:I'd be glad to oblige. Until then, I have some two weekers I can post [​IMG]

6. newchicks8

newchicks8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2009
    I have a mixed breed hen that is such a broody gal. I am running an experiment, she started laying/setting Sept 20, she has been on her egss 24/7, I have let her set on 5 of her own eggs but I have replaced a few of hers with a few of my nice golden comet hens eggs. The Golden comets are such pretty sweet super productive hens so I'm excited to see what hatches. I have a beautiful roo, he's mixed breeding too.....a gorgeous gray and rust specimen of a rooster, I hatched him July 09. There are 15 eggs so far and she is setting in a straw lined horse bucket. She added another of her own today, I have been marking them with the date. This makes 8 days she has been her own eggs. How will this 21 day thing work if some she has been incubating since 9/20. I am a newbee and I am in LOVE with my chickens. I'm excited to see what is produced on Oct 11!!
    I moved her to her own horse stall so she has privacy. Should I keep her under 14 hrs of light (Im in Ohio) or are setting hens not effected by the shorter daylight hours. Do they like it dark or light. I have 10 other hens who I am providing 14 hrs of light.
    Thanks to all for this absolutely entertaining and informative site. I have learned soooo much from all ow you.
    I especially like the search. Somehow my little fridge temp dial at the barn got bumped and I discovered frozen eggs.....oh no......but I checked out the search on frozen eggs and I have all my answers. Love this place!!!
    Claudia/Ohio
    2 daughters/3 grandkids
    11 hens/1 roo/14 guineas/ 6 rescued dogs (3 are registered therapy dogs)/ 6 horses/1 pony. The funny farm!

7. pnuts

pnuts Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    i set a few recently too:) the temp went up to 110 degrees on the first day even though i thought it was done stabilizing, i'm not sure for how long. but its stable now. i hope this works:]

8. The Lisser

Welcome to the thread, newchicks8 and pnuts!!! I'm currently on my third incubation (and I started . . . uh, a couple months ago [​IMG] )

Newchicks8, I think your hatch may be a little staggered if you added eggs (and so did your broody) but you may start to see chicks as early as Oct 9 or 10! If you want to see if they are developing, you could candle the eggs with a bright flashlight - it is so cool! Here is a thread about candling: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876

pnuts
    , hope you still have a good hatch!

I candled today - a little early - but I saw development in 10 of 14 eggs! [​IMG] I discovered a crack in one egg that I didn't see prior to setting (these are shipped eggs - had to throw out 2 already) - but it had started developing and the crack was down near the pointy end, so I used candle wax to seal the crack, and hopefully it will still develop. [​IMG]

[​IMG] Melissa

9. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    The Lisser: [​IMG] on seeing development... now I wanna go candle [​IMG] but I'm gonna wait til Sunday.

10. trishmk

trishmk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Mid TN
    Hello - first time incubator here. I put 18 silkie eggs in on the morning of the 26th - wasn't very optimistic as the post lady left them on my porch for hours in 98deg heat but just candled and see veining to one degree or another in 12! A few of them gave me a pretty good view of some wiggly black dots in the center of the veining which I'm taking as a good sign :) How long would you hang on to the "clears" before tossing? I'm a novice at candling, too, so I don't want to toss any possible good ones.

Happy to have somewhere to "report" to as I think my husband, although trying to be a good sport, is totally tired of hearing about it.

I hover over them constantly - does that go away after you do a few batches?

Ah - and I've also developed an aversion to eating eggs - normal? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by