Set eggs April 3rd, who's with me!!??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Frost Homestead, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I won my first auction and set a dozen blue copper marans eggs in the incubator around noon, the eggs are BIG compared to the ones my girls lay, I can't wait to see some big healthy chicks! This is my second hatch. Anyone else set eggs today?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Here's a pic of the chicks from my first hatch. They're a week old today.

[​IMG]

My mother-in-law gave me this big kiddie pool. It's making an excellent brooder! These are hatched from my own eggs, they're blue wheaten/wheaten Ameraucanas. There's 2 EE in there from my wheaten roo x an EE, they're the ones with dark markings on their heads and backs.

[​IMG]

Here's the eggs I set today. A little dirty but big and dark!

Just as I'm writing this my DH called inside to let me know there chicks under one of my 3 broodies! WOOT! I'm exploding with chicks! LOL

2. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I think one of my Muscovy duck has just begun to set her clutch of eggs this morning, by coincidence. If that counts...? [​IMG] Of course we won't hatch at the same time anyway! [​IMG]

Good luck with your beautiful hatch!

3. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I'm doing a staggered hatch, but I just set the last of my eggs today at noon as well! We'll have a race [​IMG]

Today I set 16 Blue Ameracaunas, 2 Bantam Ameraucaunas, 2 Buckeyes, and 2 Heritage Reds.
    Yesterday I set 6 mixed Polish, and on Saturday I set 8 BLRW and 8 Cuckoo Marans.
    I have too many eggs for the turner, so they're stacked. My BF is going to kill me if he looks through the little window.[​IMG]

4. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    right on! Yesterday my silkie went broody so I gave her 5 eggs from my EE. So they should be hatching within a day or so of the Marans eggs I'm incubating.

On a side note: Overnight one of my broody's chicks went missing [​IMG] Not sure what happened, I guess a snake could have made its way in her cage somehow. She's off the nest now and out in the yard with the rest of the flock.

I went ahead and took the chicks away from my other broody, I put them in with the week olds inside in the brooder. They're getting along great with the week old chicks, but man! they grow so fast, the week old ones are *huge* compared to the ones that are only a couple days old. I still have one more broody Ameraucana outside, her eggs should hatch within the week.

5. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    How long do ducks eggs take to incubate?

6. SpiritedFarm

SpiritedFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    I set 46 Barred Rock eggs on Sunday afternoon! My first try with my bator!
    I hope I am doing this right...lol

7. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Good Luck with your hatch!! keep us posted

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  8. chicken-whisperer

chicken-whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Vista San Diego County
    I hatched a bunch Tues and refilled my bator [​IMG] total hatching hysteria I know but I cant stop[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Frost Homestead

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    hahaha I can't stop either. I swear no matter what I do I just keep getting more broodies and more batches of eggs to incubate, there seems to be no end in sight! LOL You can definitely tell it's spring!

10. SpiritedFarm

SpiritedFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    South West Ontario
    Going to candle tomorrow night, it will be day seven....This is all "firsts" for us [​IMG]

Will have to study up on just what it is I am supposed to see at day seven..lol

How is everyone else doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by