Set eggs today 4/21 Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Liddle Farm, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Liddle Farm

Liddle Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Went down to Albany today and picked up a couple lionhead rabbits. Got home to find two dozen serama eggs I ordered. Into the incubator you go. I have the temp hovering around 99.5 (just added a water wiggler to stabilize and have an aquarium mercury in also) and the humidity around 40%. I bought a new hygrometer on the way home and am calibrating it now. Figured two is better than on. Crossing my fingers on the eggs. I think they are 6 or 7 days old as of today. Hope it doesn't hurt the hatch rate too much.

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Hello and [​IMG]

I just got 14 call duck eggs in the mail today. I am letting them rest and I will set them tonight. I can set with you but I cannot hatch with you as duck eggs take longer than chickens eggs. What other kind of chickens do you have?

3. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    I just set 21 eggs myself. I arrived home and had 8 eggs on my back steps (6 wheaton ameraucana and 2 olive eggers for extras). I set those plus 13 of my own barnyard mixes, silkies and cochins. I already had 13 eggs in my incubator I had set last week, more silkies and cochins. Good luck with your hatch.

4. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I've had three bators running since the beginning of February. I'm starting to slow down some lol

5. Liddle Farm

Apr 7, 2011
    Quote:I'm going to be doing some call duck eggs in the future. I ordered some last year and none hatched. I think I bought some bum eggs. No development at all in them. I'm also on the lookout for some runner duck eggs. Need to get through these first. I only have the one incubator.

My other chickens are a variety. I had a flock of RIR but that was a few years ago. They slowly disappeared (we had a raccoon problem). I have 8 hens right now that I hatched from a brown layer variety egg pack from McMurray.

6. plainann

plainann New Egg

Mar 11, 2011
    I put 8 sultan eggs under my bantam hen last night....

7. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:I'm going to be doing some call duck eggs in the future. I ordered some last year and none hatched. I think I bought some bum eggs. No development at all in them. I'm also on the lookout for some runner duck eggs. Need to get through these first. I only have the one incubator.

My other chickens are a variety. I had a flock of RIR but that was a few years ago. They slowly disappeared (we had a raccoon problem). I have 8 hens right now that I hatched from a brown layer variety egg pack from McMurray.

Call ducks are hard to hatch. I've hatched lots of different kinds of eggs and in my opinion the call ducks are the hardest. I had a call duck breeder holding my hand during my first hatch and it went pretty well. Now I know what I am doing but I still have her on speed dial lol

8. Liddle Farm

Apr 7, 2011
    I'll have to pic your brain when I do the call duck eggs. I just got a response from the person I bought the eggs from and they are only 4 days old. Phew!![​IMG]

9. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I set eggs last night (4/20). This is only my second hatch. The first, I set 20 eggs from my own chickens, and only ONE was fertile! It hatched early this week. It was very exciting, despite the horrible hatch rate. The chick is adorable, although very lonely, and I'm picking up a few friends for him from the feed store tomorrow.

For my second round, I set 13 shipped olive-egger eggs, plus 10 of my own (I haven't given up on this rooster yet!)

10. Liddle Farm

Apr 7, 2011
    Just moved the incubator. I keep getting temp variations from 98.2 to 101. Not sure why, so moving it to a more central room in the house (the room with the thermostat [​IMG] ). Hope it helps, have never had this issue before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by