Set me straight! Incubator debate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WyanLuv, Dec 8, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    I have been wanting to get an incubator. Let me have it! What do I get? The Little Giant still air incubator or the Hova-bator 1588? What's the big difference? Whats the preference? I am a beginner and I want to make as few mistakes as possible (I know, get real). I have read and read and read all these different forums and my mind is swirling. Help me out, all you seasoned chickie hatcherers....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Get the Genesis 1588. I've got 3 of them and they're pretty fool proof.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I have the LG(two of them) if I were to do it again I'd get the 1588 instead. The LGs are just too much trouble keeping stablized.

4. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    the hovabator is, in my opinion, more user friendly. i like it better than my little giant.

5. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I really can't complain about the LG's(9200's)........I have two of them and they seem to be fine for me........I'm new to this though.

6. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    If you can afford it go with the 1588. Definitely get the fan. If you can't then the LG does just fine once you get used to the minimicroturns for temp adjustment. Fiddle with it first. I've got both. My first was a still air LG and I had a good hatch out of it. I now have my first eggs set in a 1588 due the 20th and theres nothing to do but wait cuz every time I check temp and humidity they are just fine. I'm gonna use the LG for hatcher for sanitation. Kinda miss fiddlin with the LG.

7. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Or....you could get both! [​IMG]

Hovabator 1588 Genesis to use as a bator.....and the LG to use as a hatcher! [​IMG]

Seriously though, the Genesis is the one I'd recommend. It's my favorite out of the 3 I have. (Including an LG)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have a LG also, I deal with it but would never buy another.

It takes some time to keep stable.

I would spend the little extra and get somthing better.

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hova Bator 1588, hands down! I am a simple person myself and really needed a bator that was blonde proof. This one was it!

The Hova Bator is wonderful because it is a no-brainer. All you have to do is add water to the trays and plug it in. Let it sit for an hour or so and wallah! There is no adjusting to do or anything because it comes with the temp. preset.

I would also recommend the automatic egg turner. That really makes hatching eggs a no-brainer!

Get the Hova Bator! You won't be disappointed, I promise! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  10. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington

Plug it in, add water, good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by