Set my *FIRST* batch of eggs this AM Jan.21st. UPDATE. I've got 2.pg14

BBK

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
upstate NY
I'm at 98.8 temp and 29% humidity, i just added a little more water. took both plugs out, using egg carton, styrofoam ones and I'm turning from outside the bator. I'm using one of the original egg cartons and places under one side, then the other, that's about an inch or more.

I have a Hovabator w/air that I got for Christmas from the chickens.
wee.gif

I've got
7 Welsummers (Becky3086
6of my own silkies
and i'm still waiting for the12 SLWs and i'm going to slip them in when they arrive and settle down. ILOVEFRIZZLES.

the reason, i'm not waiting anymore is b/c the other eggs afre getting old and i don't think a day is going to change anything.

Melinda
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
ME!!! I'm with ya!
frow.gif
I'm setting 11 eggs in my homemade styro bator. I have 3 thermometers and 3 hygrometers! I have OCD and am so afraid messing it up! I just want all of my little mutts to make it
smile.png
I'm new at all of this. Last spring I purchased day old chicks from McMurray hatchery, but I don't have the extra $$ to do it again this year. I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I'll have pictures of my eggs in the bator in a bit, but I have to take out the extra therm/hygros to make room for the eggs! Best of luck to you....We can be hatch buddies!

Ida

Great pics, Ida and I'm glad I'm, not alone..
ya.gif

Apprentice_egger , what kinda of eggs do have in? Cochins?

Ok, my temps have been staying at 99.7 and my humidity is 44%, I added a little water yesterday b/c it down to 29%.
going to check them now...
are you guys writing down your temp when you turn your eggs. I started doing that, but I don't know if it's gonig to help me any, maybe someone else.

Good hatching vibes to everyone...
yippiechickie.gif

melinda

I'm writing EVERYTHING down. Just because it's my first hatch, I want to note what was done so I can either repeat it or change it.
D.gif

i did my FIRST batch last sat. there going to hatch on my cosins B-day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (feb. 7th):jum

1 ruby-eyed netherland dwarf:bun, 8 hens:cd, 1 cat, 1 parrot, 1 injured northern flying squrrel, and eggs in the bator!
woot.gif

a-a-a-a-a-a-n-n-n-D THEY'RE OFF!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
pop.gif
I Just closed the batoR on my 17 Bantam Welsommer eggs [https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=287982]
woot.gif
All but one looked great when I candled. That one has a tiny mark that may be a hair-line crack, so I painted it w/candle wax and placed it front and center so that I can keep an eagle eye on it
fl.gif

I put my very first setting in lockdown this morning, so am counting on this setting to keep me occupied and keep my hands off the others
lau.gif
The eggs traveled from Utah to Tennessee in 2 days, so I plan to let them rest until Sunday when I turn on the auto turner. I am using a hand-me-down still air Hova-bator that I installed a fan in until my new bator comes. I had so much trouble with temp and humidity spikes and lows this last hatch that I will consider myself lucky if I get 4 to 6 chicks from my 27 eggs.

My hatch is due Feb,12 - Lincoln's B'day, so hoping for an "Honest Abe" and an "Abby"
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I'M IN!! LET THE ADVENTURE BEGIN
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif
ya.gif

Got an invitation to join your thread, so hi, all! My 43 eggs were set, some last night late and some this morning around 11 a.m., so they're all on Day One today.

In my batch, I have:

13 Barred Rocks, 9 from my own flock and 4 from a fabulous show quality flock
12 BBS Plymouth Rocks from halo
10 Ameraucana eggs, 2 wheaten over blue wheaten and wheaten from halo and 8 BBS Amer's from QuailHollowP&P (nice color)
6 BBS Orpingtons (whoever hatches will go to joletabey for her Blue Orp cockerel's women)
2 Black Plymouth Rock over Wheaten Marans from halo's pen as a bonus (lovely color on those eggs!)

So, you can see that I am concentrating on my Rocks and blue-eggers at the moment--no Delaware eggs in this batch, I'm afraid.

Got 12 EE eggs from Atlchick and put them in the bator at 5:50 pm today. Temp is 99.3 and humidity is 43%. I'll be watching closely for the next few days, but this Eco is pretty steady. I may bump the temp a tad. My 2nd time hatching. Counting tomorrow as day 1.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom