Set my first eggs in the bator, and I have Veining!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pirate Wench, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Pirate Wench

Pirate Wench New Egg

Hello Everyone!

I had a broody hen, so I went out and got some fertilized eggs to put under her, and wouldn't you know it? By the time I found someone with fert eggs, and got them home (about 2 weeks) the same day I brought the eggs home she decided to just go back to her normal self and forget about the eggs.

So......

I made my own homemade incubator! Literally I spent all night that night researching on here, and the next day I went out purchased everything (only cost me about $20 & using stuff we had at home!) set it up, let it run for about 48 hours and then I set my first batch of eggs on the 14th![​IMG]

I just candled them, and out of the 14 I set, I can see the veining VERY clearly in 13, but not so well in the 14th:weee I know it is harder to see in the brown shells, but I'm SO happy this is seeming to work! My girls are loving this little "Science Experiment" we've got going on in the kitchen too. Here's to hoping we get a good hatch because we are going to give all the chicks but one to our neighbor to help them start their flock. [​IMG]

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    good for you!

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hooray!! Don't forget to take pictures!!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My wife would kill me but all this talk about veining makes me want to pull out the incubator..

And my bator has been "Clean and Stored" since the end of April.

That's right, My name is Mahonri, and I am a hatch-o-holic.

5. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:"Hi Mahoroni. My name is ADozenGirz and I've got a problem too." (card-carrying member of ChicksAnonymous)
    This doesn't help either, does it? [​IMG]
    DAY 3, egg #3:
    [​IMG]
    DAY 3, egg#11
    [​IMG]
    Day 4, egg #12:
    [​IMG]
    Day 4, egg #11:
    [​IMG]
    Day 4, egg #4:
    [​IMG]
    Day 6:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    7/23/10 egg#11 @1:42am- almost fully zipped
    [​IMG]
    7/23/10 eggs#11 & 3 @6:27am-sisters cuddle
    [​IMG]

6. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Weeeee Congrat's.Hope ypu get some babie's.What kind of light are you using to candle them.Look's like it work's good.I used to have this Homemade set up of an old desk lamp with a box on top with hole.I now have been using one of the mini LED one's they seem to work pretty good even on darker egg's.Let Us know how it goes.

7. Pirate Wench

Pirate Wench New Egg

Thanks everyone! Hubby's been on my case too about taking pics since this is the very first time we've hatched anything out.
    We just got chickens this spring and it has been a blast. Hubby said if these hatch out good he wants to get some EE's cause he "thinks it would be cool" to have different colored eggs [​IMG] In fact he's out building on the coop to expand our original design since we have gone from an original plan of only 6, to 10, then to 16, and now it will be 17...who knows when we will stop! lol

8. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I used a little LED flashlight from Home Depot. I just cup my hand over it and candle in my dark pantry!

9. Pirate Wench

Pirate Wench New Egg

haha! I use the same thing for candling! albeit when I can finally find one of the blasted flashlights (and new batteries) since my girls (3 & 5) my son (1) and my stepson seem to think they are for them to keep (HIDE) in their bedrooms so they can play after lights out.[​IMG]

10. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:LOL, my 5 & 3yo daughters play with them too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by