Set Now or Wait???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JenS, Mar 12, 2013.

1. JenS

JenS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    My love for chickens has spilled over into my classroom. I have planned a egg hatching project with my 3rd grade class.
    My Brinsea mini advance incubator is arriving today. The kids and I are so excited to get started and really want to set the eggs (from my own little flock) tomorrow. However, Spring Break is March 23 - 31. I could transport the incubator home with me over the break. I live 8 minutes from the school. Or I could leave it at school and check on the eggs over the break. Or I could wait and start after spring break. [​IMG] What to do, what to do???

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Do you have access to the school during spring break? I think your only two issues is if there was an accidental power outage, or the more real concern: How to add water while the school is closed.

I was actually just consulting the calendar with the exact same thing in mind, except our spring break is the next week. Last year, I ended up taking the eggs home. I had a 7/7 hatch rate.

So, I think I'll set eggs next week because if I do this week, they'll hatch while the kids are gone.

3. JenS

JenS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    That's a great hatch rate. How did you transport them carefully?

4. JenS

JenS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Set the eggs this morning. So exciting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by