Set or Not Set Eggs Laid With Days of Dewrmer OR new pullet eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yeye5, Mar 28, 2017.

1. yeye5

yeye5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    This post contains 2 separate issues: deworming protocol as re to hatching eggs
    and
    How long to wait before setting eggs laid by a starting pullet.I usually do a preventative deworming before spring laying season.

This year we had unusually warm weather, eggs were laid and one broody sat very early.
    I just this week gave the med in the water (sorry forgot the name but it's the one given only for 2-3 days).
    I am told that eggs laid during deworming are not for eating.

*My questions is: Are the eggs laid during the time the dewormer is consumed in their water, good for setting/hatching or not for that purpose either?
    I prefer to take no chances with the health of my birds, so will act accordingly.

*Secondary question is:
    Since we're already doing the 1st dewormer (that I've used up and ran out of), is it advisable to follow up with a 2nd (I have Wazine-17 here)?
    And same quesation re the Wazine-17. The label says not to eat eggs nor meat of birds that have been treated for the duration of treatment.
    How does this effect setting/hatching those same eggs?

*New Topic/Question:
    I've heard and recently had the experience that eggs laid by pullets that have just started laying for the first time have very low success rates, either for hatching or for survival of chicks that hatch from them.
    I would have been better served by first asking but I had a sad experience that really made this point.

How long is it advisable to wait once a pullet has started laying her first eggs before trying to set and hatch the eggs from her?
    I have 3 silkie pullets that have all just begun laying preciously tiny eggs!
    They tricked me at first bcs they were sneaking their eggs into the nest of their mom hen and I didn't know it. Now I know.
    I'm excited to see their eggs hatch!
    How long should I wait before attempting to set and hatch those girl's (and any new pullet's) eggs?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

[​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, I use a wormer stronger than Wazine to get the worms that wazine will not tough(main one is tape worms) I hatch ALL those eggs with a very high hatch rate.

Pullet eggs---usually within a few days of starting to Lay----being they are really to small to sell----I hatch all of those too---again with a very high hatch rate. As long as the rooster is doing his job---they will be fertile.

3. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    WoW! I couldn't have wished for a better answer! Thanks for this info. I didn't know if I suspected this to be the case bcs it was wishful thinking or bcs it might be true, lol. And I feel that it's always safer to make sure on the front end than to be sorry about taking the chance.

The eggs in questions are also some of the prettiest shades of pink thru deep rose color. I can't say I put this group of pullets together bcs I knew their eggs would turn out this way but I sure got very lucky in my social-grouping philosophy!
    I had bought 2 of them early last summer and picked them for their sweetness and the colors their wings were feathering in. I had been gifted 2 more of this group, colors very different than the 1st two. And 2 of them had hatched here, again no visual similarity but temperament matches.
    Now I have sets of 5X6 egg crates of softest pink to real vibrant pink to mauve and deep rose with speckles!
    Do you think I'm a just a bit attached to them?

I'm still looking for the EE roo that will court these ladies.
    I moved them from their coop/run to a "project pen" I have (Polish+silkie+ frizzle on the way) after a string of predator attacks in their pen. Since everything about this pullet group has been serendipitous, I want to hatch the eggs produced by primarily the silkie (blue/partridge) dominant cockerel before switching the male when I get the EE cockerel (still looking for the right one).

Thanks so much for your reply!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    LOL, Yes!!

Keep in mind that the smaller pullet eggs will produce smaller chicks so you might need to slightly grind their chick feed(according to what you use) for the first few days. I do this for bantam chicks too. You can use a old blender or coffee grinder if you do not have a feed grinder. I have a grinder but I found a smaller electric grinder at Good Will a few weeks ago---it was a awesome find for Less than $3---LOL---no one knew what it was. Keep your eyes open. On the net for $200 to $400 used---made back in the 1960's. (Like the one in this pic) Perfect for small chicken operation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  5. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    How funny. I glanced at the pic and thought you were kidding with me that I'm so attached to these eggs that I should keep them in a safe!

A feed grinder/coffe grinder/blender sounds like an awesome idea. I've never used one before and my silkie chicks are very small compared to standard sizes. The new laying pullets (1 in the larger pink egg group and 3 in the silkie house group) are laying eggs smaller than their tiny mama-hen's eggs! They are too cute! Sadly they began laying into the nest their mama-hen was brooding. She did an excellent job, insisted on brooding the eggs longer than (I thought) a well overdue! I have never doubted that she knows better than me, so I let her stay and 3 chicks hatched "on time" (they'd been laid by the pullets and were 7-10 days behind) but didn't make it thru our surprise winter of freezing temps.
    Now that you bring up the feed size issue, I am sure that contributed to their demise. All of the chicks from Mima (mama-hen) eggs have always thrived on the same feed (purina medicated start and grow). Maybe these smaller chicks would've done better if I'd further ground the crumbles. Boo. Live and learn...

I felt so sad for Mima (she was not acting herself after loosing the chicks) that I went out and--while planning to buy 1 or 2 chicks at the feed store--I ended up with, over a 3 days, 2 shopping trip event--5 Brahma chicks who are really Moose in chicken suits, 3 GLWs and a Welsummer. I gave them to Mima and she's adopted them. They are fat and happy!
    Now for more pen rearranging bcs those chicks need to get out and about so Mima can be a normal playing around chicken again until she decides to sit again.
    Random off to the side question:
    I noticed yesterday that Mima has lost weight--of course--but enough so that I want to give her some fattening treats (when she;s out of the nest). Do you have any suggestions? I can stop at a new feed store today as I want to see it and will be driving by it. I plan to buy her something good to eat for a treat. What's a healthy high cal/high fat treat?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by