Set up the trap for tonight - Game Cam PICS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jun 14, 2011.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The past week I have been catching a coon on the game cam. The door on the layer coop had a small hole in it, and the racoon ripped it all apart. Luckly not enough were he could get in. We fixed the door, and then last night he came back. I could see pull marks on the chicken wire on several different coops where he tried to get in. Hoping I can catch him tonight. Wish me luck!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Good luck!! Post the pirate if you catch him.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's nice to see your run is predator proof. [​IMG] Life is good when a coon walks away hungry and frustrated! [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My traps are set tonight too (well they usually are, but I really set them up today!) because a raccoon got one of my roosters last night through the fence. I heard it sneaking off through the brush when I went to check on them around midnight and found the roo.
    He should have been safe, except apparently the other rooster kicked him off the roost and he was sleeping on the floor right next to the fence. Darn rooster drama! Anyways, guess the egg in the trap wasn't tempting enough. I put out a can of tuna. Thought about wiring a chicken leg (from the store lol) to another trap but I didn't do that yet. One leg trap is set for raccoons tonight. (the other two are aiming for roaming dogs) Put the game camera pointed along that fenceline too, see if it comes back sniffing around. Now I'm just having trouble being patient, lol

5. SundownWaterfowl

Nothing.... I'll have to check the camera later today to see if he was there. Darn it.

Tala get anything?

6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I caught a baby coon in a live trap last year...it was super cute until I walked up to the trap. Then it started growling, hissing and making all sorts of scary noises [​IMG] I have never heard anything so little sound so dangerous [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:[​IMG] Vicious little things.

Went down and looked at the trap, the bait was gone. Checked the pictures and the darn thing didn't even go in the trap he stuck his little fingers through and pulled out the old weiswurst i used as bait. I think i'll use some peanut butter or something tonight.

Looks like a big one.
    Here's the little bugger.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    We have 2 live traps (the same size as yours) that stay set 365 days a yr.
    Raccoons are VERY intelligent creatures......our solution to the "stealing the bait" issue is----we secure the trap to the ground with stakes (the coon will turn the trap over attempting to get the bait); hang a Honey Bun from the top of the trap, dangling over the trip plate, with some of the packaging remaining. The Honey Bun doesn't stink like other baits that are left untouched for days....works like a charm [​IMG]

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Nope nothing, and nothing on my camera either!!!

Going to try a different bait tonight. Maybe a honey bun? lol

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

When we had coon issues...the beast didn't just stick their grubby paws in to steal the bait, it shook and THRASHED the trap to get the food out. We'd find the trap the next morning and it would have dents in it. My father screwed some sturdy board material together (very sad, it was awesome quality wood and it 'went to the coons'...what a disappontment) and stuck the trap inside it, making it impossible to go anywhere but inside. The next night, the coon figured as much. I don't take pleasure it taking the life of anything, but it had to go. And so it did.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by