Setimes i wish i was crueler...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by OhMyItsAndyy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    So we have an urban fox, and for years of me keeping chickens, i have NEVER had a problem. However, he took my last Rhodie hen back in August, and when i got new Pekins in December, (Just gone) he took three hens and left my Roo for dead. He died. So it has taken away 5 of my precious babies. And as much as it upsets me, i don't blame it. Nature and all. However, it's back now. It's coming back 24/7 and it's sniffing around the coop. My parants and brother both want to catch and kill it. However, i feel more queasy on that. It is a living creature and all.
    So i was wondering if anyone knew of any humane way. They'd bash it to death. I couldn't sit back and let that happen. It'd kill me and the sound would haunt me. So, i was wondering if anyone had any idea's how i could shoo it, or am i stuck unless i steal it and rehome it?

Please help... time is running out for it... and i don't want more blood on my hands [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd suggest a day trip to Wales. Interesting country.

As you said Nature and all. Part of Nature is for predators to die also when they meet another predator that can outdo them. I don't kill indiscriminately but I do protect my flock. I had a recent post about that and a possum.

I consider the most humane way any way that is swift and sure. I don't see any difference in any method as long as it is swift and sure. Bashing could be as humane as any other method, depending on how it is done.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Well I guess it boils down to how much money do you want to spend supplying food for the fox, or other varmits that will find your fowl a tasty feast. My only option if you will not allow your brother and parents to get at it is to get a have a heart trap and try for it like that. but you should know..they are VERY clever and it will take some time to get it. If you don't want to go out and buy one, call the game office in your area. Sometimes they will comeout and bring a trap for you to use until youi get it...or call the local police...they will and can put you in touch with the game warden. Good Luck.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Hang a shirt or something with your fresh scent on it for daylight hours,& get a Nite Guard for night. THEY WORK!

5. lighthawk

lighthawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Gobles MI
    Andy I hate to say it but until you dispatch that fox it will continue to harvest your flock. The fox has found an easy and available food source and not only will it continue to kill them but down the road it will introduce it's pups to your chickens. Rehoming it will just make it someone elses problem. You may think that driving it out into the country will solve the problem but folks in the country free range their birds. The fox recognizes fowl as an easy meal now. Doesn't matter if it is your flock or someone elses. The right thing to do is put it down. If you cannot fire a gun in your neighborhood trap it take it out to where you can and put a bullet in it's head. If you don't have a gun find someone who does and ask for their help. JMHO. Good luck

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I've had a fox hanging around forever. I got a night vision camera and he comes by every single night. The only time he ever catches a bird is if one escaped the coop somehow, he hasn't tried digging in or climbing over the fence, so I just let him live. He mostly got hold of spare cockrels I had kept in a less secure pen, but I've stopped using that pen because I don't want them to die that way.

If you can actually catch that fox you may be able to call your local animal control officer and let them handle it. Whatever you do, please don't relocate it - it'll just cause problems for someone else or it might just be able to find it's way back and it'll be even smarter at evading capture the next time.

7. Festa X11

Festa X11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Lincolnshire Wolds UK
    Don`t let them bash it, if someone see`s they will get reported, I know it is now illegal to hunt fox`s now with dogs but if you can find your local hunt they may know of someone who could deal with it. Failing that ask a farmer.

Over here in the UK we don`t have game wardens apart from on private estates and they can only legally do certain things to protect livestock, within the estate grounds, which isn`t very much now

8. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Maybe a good dog would help?

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    The laws in the UK are different than here in the states...

Here in the states in most cases, trapping and relocating wildlife is illegal unless you have a special permit/license to do so. With that being said, I'd encourage you to find out your local laws and see what you can do within those guidelines.

10. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Virtually nobody in the U. K. is allowed to have a gun. Most traps are also illegal, so they are virtually unable to defend their property against predators like this. This is a portent of things to come in our own country if we allow the animal rightists and anti-gun activists to have their way with us.

About the only option the OP has now is to get either a guard dog, or to try to trap the fox in a government approved trap and dispatch it in some way. If they relocate it, it most likely will return immediately and be much smarter than it was before. A typical government created dilemma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by