Setting 18 store bought eggs in homemade bator! 1/23

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Adam7, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Adam7

Adam7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Finished building my incubator a few days ago and I wanted to run a test batch through it. I went and bought 2 dozen eggs from my local Natural Grocer. The cartons say the eggs are from Amish farmers so I am hoping they are fertile. I cracked open 6 of them to check. 3 were not fertile, 2 looked fertile and 1 had a broken yolk. I checked the date on the cartons and the eggs are only 7 days old. This will be my first time trying to hatch anything. I know the odds are against me but I think it would be really awesome to hatch store bought eggs!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  2. Adam7

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    So I called the producers of the eggs and asked if there were any roosters and they told me "some not many". So it is possible that they are fertile but I suspect fertility rates will be low.

Also the breeds they use are Bovine Browns and Hy-Line Browns.

3. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    If they don't hatch I would look around on craigslist and see if anyone has hatching eggs for sale. But it is possible some will hatch for you. We bought some eggs from a friend when we first got our incubator. She had washed the eggs and we had put them in the fridge for 3 days before I decided I wanted to try to hatch them. We ended up with 5 of the 12 hatching we still have 4 of them. It was a nice surprise to see what hatched out, lol.

4. Adam7

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs

There are plenty hatching eggs around here. I just want to say that I hatched store bought eggs lol. But yeah if this batch fails I will most likely try some local eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    Lol that is the same reason I hatched eggs that had been in the fridge. Good luck with the hatch!

6. Adam7

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Temp is holding steady at 99.5-99.6 and the humidity is at 38%.. Now the waiting game.

7. jakewelder

jakewelder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    Oregon
    Just finished my incubator. Made out of ice chest like yours. Temp holding at 99-100. Looking for a fan . Two bulbs d a hot water heater thermastte. Can't wait to get it going. Building an egg turner first.

8. Adam7

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs

Congrats! Post some pictures when you get a chance! Do you plan on setting some eggs in it soon?

9. jakewelder

jakewelder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2012
    Oregon
    Got some coming by mail from South Dakota and some coming from Florida . I Don't count on a big hatch. 50% would be tremendous . Making the incubator is more of a backup at this time. Going to go to Trader Joes store for some fertilized eggs. And give them a try too. Making a push pull egg turner. Think I have it figured out. Not real happy with my thermostat, my go ahead and get a wafer type. My eggs should be here tomarrow.

10. Adam7

Dec 27, 2012
    Colorado Springs

I had serious problems with my thermostat at first. Two things were necessary to fix it. First the modification where you drill many holes.

I actually drilled more then the 3 shown in this video.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kYHYBw&usg=AFQjCNFJysuzZb-BkHK2hKZo_L0vMaUBpA

Second thing I had to do was to move the thermostat MUCH closer to the light. I still need to find a better way to mount it but ill show you a picture of how I have mine. My temp stays rock solid at 99.5-99.6. It took 2 days of warming up to normalize the temperature swings. I also put a bunch of baby food jars with water in them to help stabilize the thermal mass in the bater. It really helped the swings.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by