Setting 9-10 eggs on 10/29 - pm

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shaggy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Eggs are from a BR roo and a RIR hen

if i finish my insulation tonight - i will be setting them in the incubator

... first hatch ever ... first homemade incubator

2. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    woot 97 degree's ... waiting for it to stabilize

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Good luck!!! Keep us posted!

4. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Good luck with your hatch! I started my 2nd go at incubation tonight at 11 pm, hoping to sleep through the most stressful part of incubation pipping and zipping.
    How many eggs you setting. I have 7 of my own silkie eggs going in. I am finding my own eggs are not nearly as stressful as shipped eggs. Or it could just be this is my second time. Either way I had fun the first time and, wish you the best of luck with your hatch.

5. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    finally got the humidity under 50%

fixing to put the eggs in

6. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    You waited awful late to set those eggs. One of the best things I learned after going through a very stressful pip and zip stage was to set the eggs late at night so when they started pipping I would be asleep. Hopefully you and I both will be snoozing when they start to pip. Glad the humidity came down for you. Good luck! My eggs are 6 hours ahead of you, but I am not sure they are fertile, and plan to candle on day 10 to check. My lav eggs will be here Wed and so will my Showgirl! Woot Woot!

7. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:awesome

next i need to learn the terminology --- pip and zip?

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Not my images I stole off the internet but it shows very clearly which is which.

[​IMG]

9. SimplySplendidSilkies

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Just a heads up! At lock down leave them be. Do anything but open the bator. That was the worst part for me. I had my first pip and nothing for 24 hours I was a mess. I could hear them in there crying for help. Well it sure sounded like crying to me but they were just peeping away. It was the sweetest sound ever. I wanted so bad to help. I was glued to the top of the bator at 2 am just watching, and watching and oh yeah more watching. Hence I upgraded to the 1588, you can see everything in there. Not at all like the 1602N which is what I am now using as a bator and the 1588 will be my hatcher. Can you see through the top of your homemade bator?
    Anyway 20 days and counting. Good luck!

10. shaggy

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i can see through the top of it ... i used a 8x12 picture frame glass for a window

i had to cover it last night so i could get some sleep -- light kept coming on and waking me up, so i covered it with a shirt

the extra insulation brought the temp up to 108 this morning [​IMG] i am a little worried .... i wonder if the eggs can tolerate more temperature variation earlier in the hatching process

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by