Setting coop on pallets...

quizzlecakes

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
Hi! I've seen a zillion coops made out of pallets but I already have a coop and it keeps flooding (I live in Florida) I want to raise my coop and have some pallets. I realize that I need to cover the floor with something or critters or snakes may come up through the cracks in the pallet, any ideas? Has anyone else done this? I was thinking maybe getting a board or possibly cemet "stepping stones", a pallet should be able to handle the weight right? My coop is probably 400 lbs as is

Last edited:
Pallets will support the weight of the coop fine, but pallets in direct contact with the ground will rot after just a few months. Even though pallet wood is treated, it can't stand up to direct contact with the ground, even when covered. If you raise the pallets up and put them on concrete pads, that would work better and last longer.

Even though pallet wood is treated, it can't stand up to direct contact with the ground, even when covered.

Most national (ones that are not used for import/export) pallets are not treated with chemicals at all, and nowadays most international pallets are simply heat treated as many countries ban chemical treatment of pallets... If you have international pallets they will be stamped with the ISPM 15 logo and it will tell you the type of treatment... In either case though the treatments are simply to kill off what might be in the pallet wood, not protect it from rotting or the environment...

To the OP, IMO you would be better off investing in some real pressure treated lumber sitting on deck foundation blocks... Depending on coop size even treated 2x4s will serve the purpose laid across the deck foundation blocks and last 20+ years without worries...

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, good points... My coop doesn't have a floor what would u suggest?

You will need to fix the drainage issues before adding a coop, or you'll have a moldy soggy mess. Dry ground is fine as a coop floor, with predator protection to prevent digging in. A floored coop on stilts or concrete blocks might work, as long as it doesn't become a home for rats. Mary

My entire yard floods I've walked around after rain to see where a better place to move would be but it's pretty limited, I've researched drainage a bit, do U think that gravel would work? I can't do too much digging etc as I am renting

You could get some pressure treated 2x4 and lay them out a couple of inches larger than than the coop dimensions, screw them together. Cover the floor area with 1/2"hardware cloth,staple to 2x4s. Cover the 2x4s with more 2x4s the hardware cloth will be in between and screw them to the bottom 2x4s, be sure to overlap the corners and set the coop on top and screw it down.
Fill it with sand. The hardware cloth is heavy duty wire and will keep out predators, but let the sand flow though.
Now if that's not high enough, substitute 4x4s instead. GC

You could get some pressure treated 2x4 and lay them out a couple of inches larger than than the coop dimensions, screw them together. Cover the floor area with 1/2"hardware cloth,staple to 2x4s. Cover the 2x4s with more 2x4s the hardware cloth will be in between and screw them to the bottom 2x4s, be sure to overlap the corners and set the coop on top and screw it down.
Fill it with sand. The hardware cloth is heavy duty wire and will keep out predators, but let the sand flow though.
Now if that's not high enough, substitute 4x4s instead. GC
CORRECTION
layout should be approximately the same dimensions as the coop. GC

Back
Top Bottom