Setting Cream Legbar and Lemon Cuckoo Orpington eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PeculiarSmith, Sep 25, 2012.

1. PeculiarSmith

PeculiarSmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Peculiar, MO
    I just got my eggs from Jordan Farm. I'll be letting them rest today and putting them in the incubator tomorrow afternoon! I ordered six Lemon Cuckoo Orpington eggs and six Cream Legbar eggs. He sent one extra Legbar egg and two extra Orpington eggs. All arrived safely with no cracks and were packed beautifully. Hope I have good luck!

2. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Did you candle them to see if the air cells are intact? I found that doing that with shipped eggs is useful because then I can decide whether I want to start turning right away, or whether I want to wait a few days to see if they will reattach.

3. PeculiarSmith

PeculiarSmith Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2012
    Peculiar, MO
    No, I have not candled them yet. Tell me more about that. Are you saying if the are cells are not attached then give them more time before putting them in the egg turner? Thanks for any advice!

4. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Yes, I've ordered so many shipped eggs recently I've gotten into the habit of candling them immediately upon arrival so that if there are any hairline cracks I can ID those right away, and also to see the condition of the air cells. The eggs may have arrived intact but if they got shaken up excessively during the trip the air cells may have detached and the yolks could also be broken so it's just helpful to get a look in there to see if you can tell if either of those things happened. IF the aircells do not stay at the wide end of the egg when you candle, if they move all around the egg that means they have detached and you will want to consider not turning them for at least the first few days. There is a great thread about this, I will post the link...

5. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Lots of great info here. I still put mine in the egg turner, I just left it unplugged for the first 6 days and I actually had almost half of the detached cells re-attach. Some still didn't make it due to the yolk being scrambled, but I think it will give them more of a chance if possible...IF they are detached you do absolutely want to have them sitting upright, otherwise the air cell will settle on the side of the egg and may reattach in the wrong place.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/704328/diary-notes-air-cell-detatched-shipped-eggs

Hopefully you will not have to worry about this, I have also had shipped eggs arrive with air cells in great shape! Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by