Setting DUCK eggs in a incubator -- need some help.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by honeydoll, Jul 15, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I am getting ready to set some Call duck eggs in my incubator. I have never used my incubator before. For that matter, I have never even hatched any eggs yet. I know, I picked a doozy to start with; I got a really good deal on 18 call duck eggs from a 4H winner. Anyway, the man I bought them from said I need to clean the eggs before putting them in the bator. My question is: How should I clean the poo off of them? I know I can't wash them, so what should I do? Is it necessary to clean them first? I would like to set them today so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I always give my eggs a wipe when I collect them in the morning- they are often still a little damp at the moment as it it winter here. I can get most muck off the eggs that way. Otherwise I use a slightly dampened face washer- I wrap the egg in it for a few minutes to moisten any bits- then gently give it a wipe. There are sometimes some stains left on the egg- but anything loose is removed. I will also use my fingernail to scratch or flick off any bits I can.

Since your were long since collected it may be a little harder to remove anything - but trying a damp- but not wet cloth may help.

Best of luck with your eggs

3. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Would this destory the bloom on the egg, or am I not understanding something correctly? I thought I'd wash off that natural protection. [​IMG]

4. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Can I just set them in without washing off poo? Or is this a very bad thing to do? I heard messing with them too much can kill them.

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If there's any large chunks, I would crumble or wash those off. If they just have smeared mud/poo on the outside that doesn't bump out, you're ok to put them into the incubator. Personally, I don't scrub any of the eggs I put into my incubator because I don't want to damage or remove the bloom, but I would also not put an absolutely filthy egg into my incubator.

If you ARE putting in eggs with some amount of poo or dirt, I would recommend putting 3% peroxide in the wells instead of water for humidity. There was a thread here (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=359601) where this was discussed.

EDIT: Make sure you read up some on hatching duck eggs before you set them. They were a lot more work for me than the chicken eggs- higher humidity through the hatch, spraying them with water once a day, giving them a few minutes of 'cool off' time once a day.... My hatch went great, but there was a lot more I had to do than other hatches.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by