Setting ducks later this week

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilstar, Mar 5, 2012.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I've been lusting after some ducklings about since I hatched my chicks last May. Now that spring is around the corner, the 'bator is getting broody :) Some friends just down the street have some ducks and gave me 2 eggs that were laid this morning. I'm hoping to get 4 more. Anyway, I asked what kind they are and she doesn't know. They're not muscovy, or pekin, or runner. I can at least rule those out! The male is mostly (all?) black with some kind of decorative feathers sticking up on his head. females didnt have the decoration and were a white/black blend. I need to know the breed to know how long the incubation period is and thus, when to start lock down right?

2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Hi, ive just ordered 24 call duck eggs. Can you get a photo of the dad and a couple of the other ducks. Incubation is 28 days.lockdown on day 25. Temp is 99.5, on the last 3 days knock it down to 98.5...
    Good luck.:D.

3. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    she's going to send me some pics. watching my email impatiently! they didnt let me get close enough to get a decent pic with my phone when i was there.

4. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    I have read muscovy ducks take 35 days to hatch.. Ive never hatched ducks so cant wait. My mother in law hatches ducks & geese..

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Incubation period is 28 days and lock down is at day 25. Good luck :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by