Setting Eggs 3/10 or 3/11 - Join Me?

serinat

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Michigan
*I didn't set my eggs 'til close to midnight, so I figure anyone who started 3/10 or 3/11 could join me. :)*

I'm setting as many eggs as I can stuff into my Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco tonight. I have 24 Buff Orpington and 6 Buckeye eggs, so we'll see how many fit. Anyone else starting a hatch today or tomorrow? Since it's so late, I'll check back in tomorrow to see if there are others to join.

I've been keeping these eggs (from my own flock) since Wednesday (so three days) in cartons on the counter, tilting them every day. Hoping they do fine. I was going to just hatch Buff Orpington eggs, but then I cracked open a batch of Buckeye eggs for breakfast yesterday, and I saw some bullseyes! So I kept the rest of yesterday's and today's Buckeye eggs and will try them, as well. Up until now, they haven't been fertile, but I think Mr. Buck finally found his groove...

Last edited:
I fit all 30 in there - actually 26 Buff and 4 Buckeye. Wish there were more Buckeye, but I didn't know. Hopefully a broody can hatch some more Buckeyes for more later this year. Right now, I just need to get as many layers as possible to increase our egg output.

We set 24 chicken eggs this am (3/11) in our incubator. They are Orpingtons, Brahmas, EEs, and some barnyard surprises. This is our first incubating experience.

We also have one broody on 4 eggs, set 2/29 (our leap chicks), and another broody on 11 eggs, set on 3/8.

It's going to be a busy spring.

Good luck! Here's hoping we have lots of little chooks running around by April Fools Day.
hide.gif

I set 16 Midget white turkey eggs in my Brinsea Oct-20 Sunday morning (3/11), if all goes has
planned they will hatch Easter Sunday (4/8) !!!

Last edited:
I set 6 eggs on the 10th. This is my first time hatching. I have a homemade incubator. Hope all goes well! 3 from my Buckeye hen and 3 from my Barred Holland hen, both crossed with my BA rooster.

Day#1 Update...this morning all came together temp is perfect at 99.5F, added 10 ml of water, and now my humidity is right where I wanted it
35%RH.

We set 24 chicken eggs this am (3/11) in our incubator. They are Orpingtons, Brahmas, EEs, and some barnyard surprises. This is our first incubating experience.

We also have one broody on 4 eggs, set 2/29 (our leap chicks), and another broody on 11 eggs, set on 3/8.

It's going to be a busy spring.

Good luck! Here's hoping we have lots of little chooks running around by April Fools Day.
hide.gif

Welcome! We did our first hatch last year, and it was great fun all around. The hardest part is waiting!

Quote:
Welcome! Our first hatch last year was 13 Bourbon Red eggs and 5 Buff Orp eggs. (I staggered them so they'd all hatch at the same time.) Turkey poults are so loveable! Hope you have great success.

Quote: I set 6 eggs on the 10th. This is my first time hatching. I have a homemade incubator. Hope all goes well! 3 from my Buckeye hen and 3 from my Barred Holland hen, both crossed with my BA rooster.

Welcome! Tell me about your homemade incubator - what did you use to make it? It will be fun to see what your chicks look like.

Quote: I started a batch of eggs on 3/11: black Rosecombs, Silkie Os, barnyard mixes, and Sebright/Rosecomb mixes. Hoping for a great hatch for all of us!

Welcome! How many eggs, and in what kind of incubator?

Now comes the boring part, for me. Rock the Brinsea three times a day, check the water level once every 3 - 5 days, and wait wait wait. I'm not a patient person, LOL, so this part is hard for me. Good thing chicks are only 21 days - I'm incubating a human baby, and let me tell you, 40+ weeks always feels like FOREVER to me. Thankfully, I'm not too far from the end of that, either.

Eggs are everywhere!!!!

I set 2 dozen bantam cochins last night....have 1 dozen khaki Cambells and 2 dozen Buff Brahmas and 3 turkey eggs to set today....had 10 muscovy eggs go to lock down yesterday.....

I am going egg crazy over here!!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!!

Back
Top Bottom