Setting eggs according to the Farmers Almanac

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Jan 25, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay I've waited all winter and accordding to the almanac today (my B-day) is one of the best days to set eggs. I have 4 Freedom ranger/FBCM, 5 Faverolle, and 3 EE/splash marans, all going in in little while.(waiting to see if my FR lays another egg for me.) So is anyone one else wanting to join in?
    Michele

2. Hanna101

Hanna101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Connetticut
    Sorry can't [​IMG]

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    If I had extra eggs I would. I like the look of the Fav's. Happy Birthday [​IMG]

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    OUt of curiosity - did the almanac mention why today is a good day - and Happy Birthday!

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I wish I could but I can't. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] HAPPY BIRTHDAY [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    Just set mine late last night. 15 Bourbon Red Turkey eggs and several White Rock and Black Australorp eggs.

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
  8. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:yesterday was also on the list. good luck lets see how true it is. I am puttin mine in now as the moon is setting, which is around 10:41 am her.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Haha oh my! I set mine on the 15th and that is one of the days listed as best for setting Chicken eggs! Now if only I hadn't dropped one (you guessed it - was a good one [​IMG]((

So far I'm looking at 5 out of 8, and they were shipped eggs. Got my fingers crossed!

PS - three had air sacs that bobbled around like the air bubble in a snow globe but one is good now, so that leaves the other two plus the one I dropped being gone. Not bad, I think.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  10. greeneacre

greeneacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Garner, nc
    Hey! I set eggs this morning. I have 11 BLRW's shipping to add diversity to my flock, had 12, but some how managed to crack one before I could get in the bator [​IMG].

I am putting egss into lockdown this Thurday and hope to put some Blue Copper Marans eggs on Sunday if they are available. If not I may put in some of my own BLRW's to start testing fertility in newly laying hens. (I know you aren't supposed to hatch pullet eggs, but I can't wait to see how my first chicks from my own eggs turn out)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by