Setting Eggs At Different Times in the the SAME Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, Oct 6, 2012.

1. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Hey guys!!

So I'm going to try to make this short. I had a broody hen who was sitting on Cream Legbar eggs, and Lemon cuckoo orpingtion eggs. I went outside (7:30 am) to feed the animals and she was gone out and about scratching around, etc . I'm not sure how long the eggs were without her but they were cold. I put the hen in with the eggs and she didn't want to have anything to do with them. So I brought them inside, and set them in the bator. I also had some more Cream legbar eggs, and lemon cuckko eggs inside the house so I wanted to hatch them all together. The eggs that were outside were set September 31, so that makes them 6 days old.

So my question is how do you do mix hatchings. I forgot what it is called but when the older eggs go on lock down, do I not open the bator and not turn the other eggs? Or do i turn them as fast as I can?

Thanks!

2. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Can anyone help me?

3. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    the only way to resolve this issue is to do what they call

staggered hatches

and that is acheived by using 2 incubators

1 as a incubator

and

1 as a hatcher

that way the humidity is set correct in each and wont ruin eggs that dont need the higher humidity and where the turning needs dtopping

4. FarmerBoy24

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    That makes sense! Ok, well the incubator there in has a fan and the other one doesnt. Will this be a problem to the eggs that go in the hatcher.

5. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    In the past when I used styrofoam incubators I chose to use still air as the hatcher. It just seemed to me that the air circulation with the fan would be more likely to dry out the membranes as they hatch. As long as you have the temperature and humidity correct it should work fine for you.

6. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    you should be ok keeping the hatcher as teh still air

dont worry about adjusting the temp by 1-2 deg for still air as the hatching a 1-2 deg decrese is recommended

so just keep the still air at 99.5F and the eggs will be at a 1-2 deg decrese which is ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by