Setting eggs in incubator May 3rd...Anyone with me?

DiamondDust

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
WA State
I will be getting shipped eggs tomorrow (I sure hope they make it tomorrow!) and will be setting them in the incubator on Friday. I hope there will be others setting eggs at about the same time!

I'll join! I set 16 eggs yesterday at noon. I'm trying out my homemade bator, seeing if it works with eggs from the backyard before I order the eggs I want. I also have 3 eggs under a broody that are due to hatch in 2 weeks. My husband thinks I'm crazy and he's probably right.
lau.gif

I'm crazy right along with you, lol!

I have been checking my temps often and my LG seems to be holding steady. The thermometer read 98 for quite a few hours but I moved it to a different part of the 'bator and it was right at 100.5
That is on top of the turner so right at egg level. Humidity was at 35% before the eggs went in but it hasn't gone below 40% since they went in.

I will be setting 16 to 30 eggs. I'm receiving 16-20 eggs in the mail tomorrow and was thinking of picking up a dozen if my neighbor has a colorful selection for my laying flock. :D

Last edited:
I set my eggs today (this afternoon). 20 hedemora eggs that I got shipped to me from sweden. I'm really curious to see how many of them will develop!
pop.gif

Here they are drying on the eggtray after being disinfected. Woohoo!

Yay! I have company! What kind of eggs are you getting in the mail, charliethezero? My Blue Barnevelders arrived today from TLS (thanks Trisha!) and my polish arrived too! I'm setting 22 eggs all together, 16 Barnies and 6 polish. I gave half a dozen of my Barnie eggs to a friend to put in her incubator too...and she's setting the other half dozen polish.

Melina, how long does it take to get eggs from Sweden to Norway? It took two days for my Barnies to get here from Cali and three days for my polish to arrive from MI.

Everyone have a good hatch! I'll be updating as it goes along...mine are settling now and I am planning to set them in the incubator in the morning!

DD

Yay! I have company! What kind of eggs are you getting in the mail, charliethezero? My Blue Barnevelders arrived today from TLS (thanks Trisha!) and my polish arrived too! I'm setting 22 eggs all together, 16 Barnies and 6 polish. I gave half a dozen of my Barnie eggs to a friend to put in her incubator too...and she's setting the other half dozen polish.

DD
I can't wait to see your polish chicks! Sounds like a fun mix of breeds.

It took three days for the eggs to arrive. It really depends on how much postage is being sent at the moment, sometimes it can take two days and in january it took six days(but that was from northern sweden, I live in the southeast Norway).

Are you washing the eggs before you're setting them? It's my first time hatching eggs from another flock and because there's been alot of breakout of diseases around the last few months I decided to disinfect the eggs as soon as I got them. I'm hoping it won't affect the hatch rate!

I don't wash the eggs. I probably would if I was worried about disease or if the eggs were terrribly dirty but I haven't felt that I needed to wash any yet.

I found that one of the polish eggs is cracked. I thought they were all okay when I took them out of the packaging earlier today but I was in a hurry so I must have missed that one. It sounds as though our eggs traveled about the same amount of time.

My plan is to candle the eggs tonight to check for rolling air cells and then put them in the incubator in the morning. Then I am going to keep my hands off until day 10! That's the plan anyway, lol! I love to check on them but I don't think it's good to do it too often. I will probably only cull obviously clear eggs and then leave them alone until day 18. Then I will candle them and put them in lockdown unless, again, they are completely clear. I will, of course, pull any weeping eggs.

I am using an LG incubator that I have had for three years. The first year I used it I had very good success. The next year not as good but still okay. This year so far my hatch rates are way down. I am really reading up on an old "LG incubator" thread to get tips on using it so I'm hoping this hatch will be much better again!

Last edited:
I'll join. I'm setting 35 eggs tomorrow. Half silkie and half showgirl. This will be my second attempt at hatching shipped eggs. My first batch I had 6 LF eggs from a friend of mine and the other were 8 bantam eggs I had shipped to me. None of the shipped eggs hatched, but 4 out of the other 6 did. I hoping for a better success rate for these shipped eggs. I've read a lot on the forum the different techniques everyone has used for hatching shipped eggs. I'm going with not turning the eggs for the first 5 days to see if air cells will reattach.

Awesome!! So glad I'm not the only one setting eggs tomorrow! I'm setting 42, maybe more. Will also be setting eggs under a couple of hopeful broodies that refuse to get out of the box they're sharing over the next few days. Just Black Australorps for me :)

Back
Top Bottom