1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting Eggs on 2/26 (now with pictures)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daniduck, Feb 25, 2012.

1. daniduck

daniduck silent stalker

Nov 1, 2009
    Florida
    My Coop
    So, I'm setting some eggs tomorrow. This is going to be my first hatch in 3 years, so I'm a little rusty at this. We had a horrible time of it the last two hatches, as spring storms caused first a 24 hour power loss and then a 7 hour power lose. We had four chicks out of 36 eggs hatch and only 2 of those made it. Anyway, we've been collecting Marans eggs over the last week and a half and I plan to set them tomorrow. Anyone else planning for a hatch around March 18th or so?

~dani~
    [​IMG]
    our rooster, Marcus Aurelius
    and our hen, Mia
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Setting eggs tomorrow myself. I have about 16-18 Bantam Cochin and a few OEGBs to set. A 100% hatch on the 18th would be a good B Day gift.

1 person likes this.
  3. mabhera

mabhera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    I'll be setting 11 black cooper marans tomorrow also. I'ts my second time hatching. Last time was in december and out of 15 eggs i had 7 hatches. Was out of power 2 times but only for 3 to 4 hours each time. To the second time I used a computer power supply that lasted me almost 30 minutes but then I was out of power again. Really stressful situation. Promised myself I was not going to do it again...I got almost no sleep...I use a homemade incubator that does not regulate temperature so i had to do it manually. My december vacations watching eggs....seems like I forgot the time and effort it takes....so I'm joining you tomorrow and hope we have great hatches and lots of girls... I'll set mine tomorrow morning. Dry hatch.

4. kahlua

kahlua Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    NJ
    I started my first (ever) batch of eggs today...I am very excited! I got 2 dozen eggs...most are Ameraucanas and Ameraucana/Buckeye crosses and a few random hybrids.

5. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    I am in, I set some at 5;00 pm 2/26(today) I have eggs in lock down now also, just a glutten for punishment lol the ones in lockdown are the first in my new incubator I built. I set 30 eggs and have 29 in lock down after candling. the last one may be good but was smaller than the others and saw no movement. I have black australorpse they are my favorite.

6. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    I set last night.

16 Bantam Cochins
    6 OEG Bantams
    2 EEs
    1 BLRW
    1 Welsummer mix

7. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I set some eggs today (2/27). But they are duck eggs so none will hatch until around the 25th.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  8. just2rosey

just2rosey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    New Kent
    I set eggs today also, 24 BBS Ameraucana eggs in my trusty old homemade incubator. This is our fourth hatch this winter, the first just moved out to the coop, so we have room for a few more! [​IMG] Good luck everyone, I hope we all have great hatches! [​IMG]

9. mtlister

mtlister Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Just set lastnight as well. 10 OEGB and 3 Serama.

10. daniduck

daniduck silent stalker

Nov 1, 2009
    Florida
    My Coop
    I've thought about trying a dry hatch, as we are in Florida, and the humidity is always high. I don't add alot of water to our incubator, to be honest, I kinda wing it, since we've got nothing to measure humidity with. I meant to look into something while we were at the feed store today, but I forgot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by