Setting eggs this week 19th Feb- 25th Feb

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eksterhuis, Feb 18, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    I have just set some barnyard mix of our own chickens in the bator, I think it will only be about 50% fertility as we have quite a few chickens and only one active rooster (the rest are babies!) I also have 2 dozen SLW and a dozen silkies on order and will pick up one more dozen of I don't know what to set later this week.

Who else is setting?

2. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    I set 11 eggs today - 4 BCMs and 7 BCM/Delaware mixes. Shipped eggs - hopefully they had a first class ride here [​IMG] I am running out of room in the incubators (all small) [​IMG]What to do? DH would say "Just don't hatch anymore." I kinda disagree.

3. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Hopefully my eggs with arrive either today or tomorrow, then let them rest 24 hours and then I can get cracking, bad pun!!!

Will update with what I put under who or in the incubator when I know what's going on!

Anyone else setting?

4. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    I set 11 on Saturday evening. One EE, and some EE/BR and EE/BO mixes. Should be interesting![​IMG]

5. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    I'd love to ride along with you again! :D
    my next chicks are a week ahead of your hatch, BUT, I have turkeys (my first time) due on the eve of your hatch. Also, it's very early SPRING here! :D

6. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    I'll join, I set 8 of my own barnyard mix on the 16th.

1 person likes this.
  7. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Just candled my eggs in the incubator, only 8 not fertile, so have 37 viable! I was expecting 50% fertility so that was a surprise!

Still waiting for my Wyandottes in the post! Beginning to get worried, I had wanted to set them yesterday!

8. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Sounds like your off to a good start. I hope the Wyandottes arrive safely and soon.

9. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL

That is great! [​IMG]

I put 10 eggs under my broody tonight.

10. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I set 10 eggs tonight. This is my first time and I am so excited! I have no clue what breed the chicks will be. I saw a sign for "fresh eggs" and I stopped and bought a dozen. I peeked into the backyard and saw a pen full of chickens that looked like RIR or Production Reds, hens and roosters all together. I cracked one egg open when I got home and it was fertile. I was going to set the rest of them but one was cracked, so I have 10 cooking in the bator right now. They should be ready to hatch (hopefully!) March 14/15th.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by