1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by chicken pickin, Jan 2, 2013.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I thought about avoiding shipping eggs also this will be my first time with them, I am very nervous. I have heard so many varying results with shipped eggs. My last batch of local eggs turned out fantastic so I thought id give it a go with shipped eggs. If this hatch fails I will just have to drive long distances to buy some eggs for hatching.

2. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Im so glad so many hatching pals have joined me this very cold January to hatch some babies together[​IMG]. I am so excited to see what everyone sets. Im going to take pics when the eggs arrive and once I set. Im expecting a variety of colored eggs Im stoked and cant wait get them!

Everyone dont forget the pics[​IMG]

3. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Pics, yes, lots of pics. I learn all sorts of things from folks that take photos of how it's supposed to be done so I can look at what I have and say, uh oh.

The not turning for 5 days is something I read about in a couple of other threads and it makes sense to me. This is my first hatch so, I think I'm going to give that a try. My eggs are being shipped from Texas and that's quite a ways actually so they could probably use a good that treatment.

Good luck to all of us!

4. lesliedow

lesliedow Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it will be here. I'm on my way to find fresh fertile eggs!
    Wheeeeee!

5. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    My eggs are coming from far also. Shipping from Montana to New Hampshire. 5 days of no turning huh? Ill have to read up on that.

6. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    lol. I wish it was as simple as walking up and down our streets collecting hatching eggs from neighbors. Im not so lucky to have like minded neighbors. I do however have a family a few roads away that I noticed had silkies, I thought about knocking on their door[​IMG] Think theyd find that odd.

7. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
  8. chicken pickin

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks That will be a good read. Ill read through it tonight.

9. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    If you read long enough through the forums here, your head will spin with everyone's opinion (including mine [​IMG] ) on the best way to do everything. I think the best you can do is just keep trying, and take good notes. Everyone's hatch is different. There are so many factors. I've always been envious of folks here who get great hatches from shipped eggs. I've never been quite so lucky. Maybe my new bator will help!

10. BubbaDman

BubbaDman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2013
    SW Georgia
    I will, got 8 eggs from Rhode Island hens I hope to get some more layers from

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by