1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by chicken pickin, Jan 2, 2013.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

jnjross...

check in the cooking dept at WalMart. We got two thermometers, one digital and one regular style reading that are both really small and intended for use as meat thermometers.
    They are 'instant read' and actually do pretty well for many things. When we were warming our eggs to 'room temp' the other day I laid one at a diagonal across the carton to keep track
    of the temp and it was within 1 degree of the one on the wall.
    They may not be intended for incubators but there are many styles of the cooking thermometers so it may work for you.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Good morning!!! So day um...3...sheesh. Things are going well though. The incubator is rock steady at 99.8. eggs are sitting there staring at me saying, "Candle me, Candle me" and I'm saying "Noooo Noooooo...must...not...candle" It's like chickzophrenia here.

3. LuvMyRoo

LuvMyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Haha, I think some of mine are saying "Candle me Candle me" and the others are begging me to plug in the turner!

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Try cjwaldon. I've seen her post them on some of the swap threads.

5. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    The no turning is for shipped eggs. I start turning my eggs or local eggs that I pick up after 24 hours. Shipped eggs I let set OUTSIDE the bator for 24 hours with pointy end down & then in the bator without turning for another 24-48 hours. I never wait more than 3 days total. I'm always afraid the baby will stick to the membrane.

6. Kunjun

Kunjun Out Of The Brooder

The cream Legbars I have incubating right now are from CJWaldon.

7. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    How are you going to fit all those babies in your apartment [​IMG]

8. SarahJaneB

SarahJaneB Chillin' With My Peeps

I consider this day 2 for me very ready for the first day i'll see anything by candling! If there's anything there [​IMG]. what day are you going to candle?

9. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    You will have dust EVERYWHERE putting them in the livingroom!!! I house my babies in the basement after they are a few days old.

10. SilkieSensation

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    The purpose of waiting the 1st 24 hours to turn on local or your own eggs is to allow the embryo to begin to establish itself & attach properly on the yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by