Setting eggs tonight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jessicayarno, Feb 18, 2012.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    So if I set eggs tonight, when do i start counting days? I am using a forced air incubator at it has been holding steady at 100 degrees and humidity is averaging around 30%. How often do I need to turn my eggs? Thanks in advance for any advice [​IMG]

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Chicken eggs set on a Saturday evening are expected to hatch Saturday evening 3 weeks later. In this case Mar. 10. Lock down Wed.eve the 7th. It is best to turn the eggs an odd number of times daily. At least 3 times, more is better. The reason for the odd number of turns is so that they don't always set overnight ( the longest interval between turns) in the same position.
    When you put the eggs in the incubator the temperature is going to drop and take quite some time to recover. Do not readjust your thermostat. Once the eggs get warmed completely you will be back at your preset temperature.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    thank you so much for that info, so far the bator's temp. recovers pretty quickly from opening, it's the humidity that takes a while to come back up..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by