Setting eggs under a broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, May 2, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    How exactly does this work? I have some eggs in my incubator that started off 'rough'. I had my temps too low for the first 2 -3 days. For this reason, I'm not positive on when I should start lockdown (Wednesday would be day 18 if I had my temps right)? Would it be possible to take a few eggs and put them underneath my hen who is sitting right now? Do they "lockdown"? Or is that something that just happens in an incubator?! LOL.. Hope that's not a dumb question. I'm just wondering if the eggs would stand a better chance if I put them under a hen?? She's been sitting for a little while, and i'm sure she'll be there in another week or so. More then enough time for the eggs to hatch.

TIA!!

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

If it was me, I would, for sure, put them under my broody... especially with the delay question that you have. A broody senses (feels?) what is going on with the eggs and will act appropriately... I would trust her. A Broody is a wonder to behold!

ps: there are NO dumb questions... just dumb people who don't ask. [​IMG]

3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you!!! And also thank you for the 'no dumb question' comment [​IMG] So, I have 14 eggs, I believe, in the incubator. When I candled there were a couple that looked like duds. I will obviously not put those under her, but how many of the others should I do, like 5? She's a bantam cochin so not sure how many she could handle..or I suppose I could switch 'em out w/ the ones she's sitting on now..hmm... Also, is there a better time to do it. I haven't seen her get off much at all. I imagine I could just run and grab the eggs if I ever catch her off the others?

Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by