Setting Feb 16, want to join in>

Can I join if I just "set" five eggs under my suddenly broody house Silkie? She has only lived with me for two weeks, so I don't know how reliable an incubator she'll be...

I took her three non-fertile eggs and replaced them with five from my flock. Actually, I just put them into the brooder bin near her - she tucked each one underneath her body and repositioned herself.
:love

Add me too! I set some yesterday, th 15th, 7 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and 1 dozen Buff Orpington, plus 2 Silkie and 5 Belgian Quail D'Anvers.

I have 16 Belgian Quail due to hatch on the 24th also.

I wanted to tell Pcreel that setting eggs on different days is not a real good idea.
Unless you have another incubator handy for lockdown and then it won't be locked down if you have to open it to add more eggs.....you may have created a problem for yourself.

Also do exactly what the manufacturer says as far as temp and humidity, 45% is a good number for the humidity usually.

Better to save the eggs if they are just a few days old and set all at once.

My 16 due to hatch were from a total of 16 that I set on the 4th, ALL were fertile and still doing great.

I ordered a new Genesis 1588, the new kind with the good read out on lid and was anxious to try it. I bought the BLRW eggs and the Buff Orpingtons and then threw in some of my own just as a check reference, I KNOW they are fertile and will hatch.
So I'm anxious for the new chicks and also anxious to test this new bator at the same time.

I bought a incubator for my daughter for valentines day and just set a dozen eggs today. They are just Isa Brown/Red Stars/sexlinks. Only fertile eggs I could find near me, the chicks will be cute either way. First year trying to hatch, usually we get some from the feedstore. We had a broody hen the last two years but no luck.

I set 30 eggs this morning. The whites are from my leghorns, the large brown/red eggs are from my welsummer and the smaller brown are from either my buff orpington, speckled Sussex or Barred Rock.

I set 20 eggs on the 15th, and five on the 16th. I have seven Basques, six cream legbars, seven EEs (possibly lav ams), and seven Silkies. Here they are. I thought I had only 25, but just recounted. 27 total, lol. The Silkies may not be fertile, but we'll know when I candle next week. Half were shipped eggs.

Looks like everyone has hatching fever! Well I set 7 Welsh Harlequin duck eggs and 11 Buff Orpington eggs. I now have two incubators so I'm going to try doing a staggered hatch. I'm marking the X & Os with a different colored crayon for each different hatching date. This first batch, the chicks are due March 9 and the ducks are due the next Sat. I'm going to be moving some birds around today and will be collecting more eggs this week.

What a
I bought a incubator for my daughter for valentines day and just set a dozen eggs today. They are just Isa Brown/Red Stars/sexlinks. Only fertile eggs I could find near me, the chicks will be cute either way. First year trying to hatch, usually we get some from the feedstore. We had a broody hen the last two years but no luck.
What a pretty little girl! I love seeing her eager smiling face:) best of luck with your hatch!!

Turning, logging, turning, logging, is it time to candle yet?
hmm.png
Oh nope not yet. I have three thermometers and I think they incubator is running a little colder than I'd like. without the eggs it was perfect but since I put them in it went down a degree and seems to be holding. Since I'm home all day today I guess I'll try to up the temp a tiny bit.
I see other people have the Little Giant like me
smile.png
Susan

Back
Top Bottom