Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Turning, logging, turning, logging, is it time to candle yet?
hmm.png
Oh nope not yet. I have three thermometers and I think they incubator is running a little colder than I'd like. without the eggs it was perfect but since I put them in it went down a degree and seems to be holding. Since I'm home all day today I guess I'll try to up the temp a tiny bit. I see other people have the Little Giant like me
smile.png
. Susan
. Nope it is not time to candle yet. The first time I hatch, I candled after four days, and every day after that! BTW, I am in S.D. too.

. Nope it is not time to candle yet. The first time I hatch, I candled after four days, and every day after that! BTW, I am in S.D. too.
LOL
lau.gif
Yeah I know I'm crazy. I have to find things to do to keep me from constantly thinking about the eggs. Yay another San Diego chicken owner! I've been without them for about a year now. Missed them, but I think I have the yard situated so that they won't bother the neighbors that didn't like them. I'm actually trying to not get my hopes up for this hatch, yet I want it to work so badly!

I guess I just missed a local meetup. Did you go? Maybe I will try for next one.

Susan

LOL
lau.gif
Yeah I know I'm crazy. I have to find things to do to keep me from constantly thinking about the eggs. Yay another San Diego chicken owner! I've been without them for about a year now. Missed them, but I think I have the yard situated so that they won't bother the neighbors that didn't like them. I'm actually trying to not get my hopes up for this hatch, yet I want it to work so badly! I guess I just missed a local meetup. Did you go? Maybe I will try for next one. Susan
No, you are not crazy, just a typical chicken owner. :D I missed the recent meet-up too. It conflicted with a family get-together so I couldn't go. Maybe there will be another one in April. We could show off our new chicks then?

I'm in set eggs on 13th,14th,and16th my own brahma roo over ee,ss,gold laced Cochin,glw,and black australorp and getting pure bred icelandics eggs from local farm tommorrow to set.

I started the evening of the 15th, but added some yesterday and today (hooray for staggered hatches... :p ). This is my second hatch and I'm going big! Have 48 eggs in there.

15 banty mixes from my flock, which will mostly be infertile because my silkie wasn't doing a very good job of mating, haha. (girls are silkies, d'anver, d'uccle, silkie/serma mix, and sultan)
13 bantam barred rocks
9 bantam BBS cochins
6 bantam polish
6 bantam sizzle suprises
5 Araucana for a local lady

Woot!

Last edited:
I am curious why the water bottles? To hold the hardware cloth down? Also do you incubate in the cups if so how do you turn the eggs. I appreciate the picture!!!!

The water bottles act as a heat sink, so if I open the lid to fiddle with something or candle the eggs the heat inside the water bottles helps the incubate get back to 99.5 a LOT faster. They are also helping to hold my carton trays in place because I tilt the incubator (using a block under one side) to "turn" the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom