Setting first eggs tomorrow - 3/23

Deerling

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
King County, WA
Can anyone join me?! I would love to have a incubating buddy.

And I would love any and all tips and pointers. I have been reading everything I can - Incubating 101, every thread that pops up on here
caf.gif
... But I still feel like I don't know anything!
barnie.gif
Like our incubator (a new Genesis 1588) is set to 100 degrees. I thought 95.5 was the ideal? I am sure experience is the best teacher. We are using inexpensive barnyard mix eggs (but the person we got them from has absolutely beautiful birds in her laying flock!) and a dozen store bought fertile eggs (10 days old). I think I might turn this into an journal of sorts on our first hatch.

Thanks!
Jordan

I haven't any fertile eggs to join you with but will bump this up and we'll see if you can get some joiners!

I'm setting my first eggs this evening and I'm scared out of my mind and feel like I don't know anything!
I'm also using barnyard mix eggs (my buff orpington roo with some red stars, another buff orpington, and a leghorn...) so it's not the end of the world if it didn't work out but I would feel terrible
roll.png

I'm setting my first eggs this evening and I'm scared out of my mind and feel like I don't know anything!
I'm also using barnyard mix eggs (my buff orpington roo with some red stars, another buff orpington, and a leghorn...) so it's not the end of the world if it didn't work out but I would feel terrible
roll.png

Hang on a second I'm going to find an url to give you that will help:

Here it is. Good luck and you'll do just fine!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Can anyone join me?! I would love to have a incubating buddy.

I will be your buddy!!
I set 16 last night sat 3/23. 3 marans. 3 araucanas. 3 brown leghorns. 3 rhode islands. 2 golden lakenvelder And 2 polish. They are shipped eggs. 3 had detached airs. And 2 were cracked. Hoping for at least 40%. I've been hatching for about 5 years now and each time I still get anxious!

roll.png

Thanks! I've read that like 10 times already and keep on going back to it whenever I'm unsure of something. I still feel a bit worried though. I'm sure I'm worrying more than I need to be.
Me too! I am thinking this is the kind of thing you really have to learn by doing. I'm worried about killing them by accident and feeling awful, too.
hmm.png
I guess if you think about it they probably would have been breakfast otherwise. Your mixes sound lovely! And how exciting to be hatching your own eggs.

I keep reading that over and over again, too. A lot of my eggs looked really porous, so I'm keeping the humidity at the manufacturer's recommendation (mid 50s). I'll see how the air cells are at 7 days and adjust from there, I guess. I'm trying not to stress too much.
I will be your buddy!!
I set 16 last night sat 3/23. 3 marans. 3 araucanas. 3 brown leghorns. 3 rhode islands. 2 golden lakenvelder And 2 polish. They are shipped eggs. 3 had detached airs. And 2 were cracked. Hoping for at least 40%. I've been hatching for about 5 years now and each time I still get anxious!

Yay! How cool! It will be nice to have someone with experience! Very neat selection of breeds, too. Once I have hatching down a little better I am hoping to get some marans and heritage RIR. Some of our eggs right now are polish mixes. Very tricky with shipped eggs, especially detached air cells. One of mine had one and one seemed loose... I don't know if that's a thing, haha. It was the store bought eggs, so no real surprise. I marked them and put them in anyhow.

Everyone feel free to post progress and pictures! I've already failed in keeping pictorial records, (busy week, my mom is visiting!) but maybe I'll start now. Thanks so much for joining me! And Toast n Jelly, thanks for the bump
hugs.gif

Yay! How cool! It will be nice to have someone with experience! Very neat selection of breeds, too. Once I have hatching down a little better I am hoping to get some marans and heritage RIR. Some of our eggs right now are polish mixes. Very tricky with shipped eggs, especially detached air cells. One of mine had one and one seemed loose... I don't know if that's a thing, haha. It was the store bought eggs, so no real surprise. I marked them and put them in anyhow.

Everyone feel free to post progress and pictures! I've already failed in keeping pictorial records, (busy week, my mom is visiting!) but maybe I'll start now. Thanks so much for joining me! And Toast n Jelly, thanks for the bump
hugs.gif
You're welcome! Love happy endings or in this case....Happy beginnings!

Store bought eggs?? Like fertile trader joes eggs?
Yep! Only in this care they are Rock Island Brown Fertile Eggs. It seems like people have a hard time hatching the brown fertile eggs, and these were 10 days old so I threw them in more for fun than because I thought they would develop. It would be cool, though!

Back
Top Bottom