Setting new eggs tonight :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sweetlilbaby, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    YAY a friend called asking if I want some eggs, he didn't get eggs for 3 days and his hen went broody. eggs are anywhere from just laid today to 3 days in. :)
    We're leaving soon to go get them. I'm excited and hope to hatch some more beautiful pullets.

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    How exciteing for u. What kinda eggs r they?[​IMG]

3. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Well the rooster was a silkie, the hens were cochins, silkies, and then a few "farm mix" hens. :)

4. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Oh so all will be suprises then. That sounds fun. I bet u will get some pretty lil chicks.

5. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    yeah, second time hatching eggs from those chickens. I have some beautiful ones. BUt so far one of the pullets turned out to be a rooster and i'm pretty sure another one is a rooster. :( Hoping this time I get more pullets then roosters. Last time out of 27 chicks I got 6 pullets. those are bad odds, I told him I think he needs a new rooster. It's creating to many males. LOL

6. JHorn91180

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Yeah I gotta agree WOW that is really bad odds [​IMG]

7. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Yeah. Oh well. it's worth it. Even if I only get one pullet. The eggs were free. All it's costing me is the time and the price of the incubator running. Then of course cost of chick starter, except I still have a half a bag from the last two sets of chicks i hatched. Yeah still working on the same bag. We bought a 50 lb bag. still have 25 lbs of it.
    Rather hatch out more chicks then to waist feed LOL and the roosters can become dog food (my dogs eat a raw diet). I'll just butcher them once big enough, and then portion up and freeze. :D Never waist anything.

I need more chickens though. we currently have 5, the law changed from being allowed 6 to 10. Need to own 10 now LOL plus the ones i have can't keep up with the scraps. They have grain in front of them all the time and then we toss them weeds from the garden, pears that fell off the trees, and scraps from the kitchen. They are going to be so fat.

8. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Sorry for the poor quality, i turned off the flash but this was the best pictures I could get. 3 of my eggs :) they are doing very well. I'm keeping it at 99.9 degrees and 38% to 42% humidity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by