Setting on air

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosawoodsii, May 10, 2011.

1. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I have a couple of broody Silkies, one of which is setting on 6 RR eggs, and the other went broody about a week or so ago--with nothing under her. She's just setting on air! Okay, so I wanted Silkies because they'll go broody at the drop of a hat, but this is ridiculous! I was really hoping to have a broody hen when my Guineas start laying, but obviously these two won't be ready then--maybe one of the other two.

Okay, so I finally broke down and put 5 RR eggs under her today so she can help raise the next generation of layers, but is setting on nothing at all common for Silkies? Or any broody hen, for that matter?

2. DKM

DKM Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Alabama
    I have two hens who are broody right now and I don't even have a rooster.[​IMG] They are setting on golf balls-plastic ones at that.[​IMG] Hope they get over it soon. One is a Marans and the other is a Light Sussex.

3. rosawoodsii

rosawoodsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Wooden eggs, golf balls, that I can understand, but...nothing at all? And she was fluffing up every time I came near as if she really had something under her!

Maybe you should find some fertile eggs to hatch out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by