Setting Serama Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brijay2, Nov 14, 2011.

1. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    I am starting my first hatch of Serama eggs. Any hints? Suggestions? Stories? Any and all will be appreciated!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    Don't Seramas tend to hatch sooner?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Myth!!
    Lockdown on day 18 and hatch on day 21. Sometimes you'll get pips day 19 an 20 but lockdown is still the same as is everything else.. Some of us have found that marking them and turning
    "X, O, X" "O, X, O" and making it "perfect" like you do for other eggs just makes things worse, throw them in the bator and run your hand over them 3 times a day and if you have an incubator with plastic water wells, take that out an fill the bottom of the incubator.. I tried it both ways and got a better hatch in my latest hatch by doing what I just meantioned!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  4. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had seramas hatch early Day 19 and later day 25

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    My little Serama that just hatched a few days ago hatched on Day 19... Pipped in the late evening on the 18th day. The breeder I got the eggs from said her's tend to hatch on day 19... and my egg did.

I did lockdown very late in the night on the 17th day like at 1 am. My hubby works swings. So really they were only about 6 hrs early for lockdown on the 18th day.

I don't think any egg can go by a set time. We can't just say 21 days and leave it at that .

I plan for 21, but am always on the look out for early.

I've had quail hatch in 16, they are said to average 18-19. They pipped just an hour after I had put them in lockdown. lol... So you never know.

I would plan lockdown on day 18 but be watching the serama for day 19 if you want to see it hatch. [​IMG]

6. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    Would any of you suggest a dry hatch versus the traditional one for Seramas?[​IMG][​IMG]

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi brijay,
    Someone I know who's also in Arizona (Mesa) (I"m in Tucson) says her hatches do well incubating 40-45% with 70-75% for lockdown. She also said she did not have much luck with dry.

8. rachelcb80

rachelcb80 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Mississippi
    I can't give any advice at that moment considering my first Seramas are in the incubator right now but I'll know more the day after Thanksgiving! [​IMG]

Regarding humidity, I'm not purposely doing a dry hatch but I haven't added any water and my humidity is staying around 40%. Today it's closer to 50% but it's been raining all day. I live in Mississippi so whatever I raise, be it animal or plant, better like humid conditions!

At the moment I plan on doing lockdown like any other breed, being Day 18, but I'll just have to keep an eye on things as see how it looks begining of next week.

9. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    awesome! I love seramas! Be sure to post pics!! [​IMG]

10. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    I candled my eggs for the first time tonight (day 3) and I can't see anything!!! These eggs are a tan color and I can see an air cell in about 3 but that's it!!! They all look clear but it maybe too dark to see veins???? I'm ready to throw them out but it's too early!!![​IMG]:he:th:barnie :sickhelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by