1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting shipped eggs - how long can I wait? Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wordgirl, May 3, 2012.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I know this has been asked dozens of times before, and I've read several threads on it. If I could set whenever, I'd choose to do it right at 24 hours, like a lot of people on here do, but I won't be home at that time tomorrow. So I'm wondering...should I set earlier, tomorrow morning, when the eggs have been sitting in a carton at room temperature for about 18 hours, or tomorrow afternoon/evening, at around 30 hours? The eggs were laid and shipped Monday, so they'll be four days old tomorrow. I could also set tonight, but that would be even earlier. I kind of want to be there after I've set them, just to make sure nothing strange happens with temperature or humidity right away. I really don't want to wait too long, though. Will they be okay waiting until tomorrow evening?

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Shoot! Its all a preferrence and about patience lol...I cant tell you how many people I know that just pop the eggs in the bator but turn turner off...for 24 hours and then start it up...18 hours is fine too!!!

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks, sonew123! [​IMG] That made me feel a lot better!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

No prob! Have a great hatch!

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Just set them at 7pm. Here we go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by