1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting Silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chic Chick, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    How many eggs can a silkie hen cover successfully? Both silkie eggs and standard size. How many can a standard size hen cover ?
    Another question is how many different colors can the silkie eggs be? I have the standard cream color but I also have one laying a pinkish egg - this is coming from a red silkie so could it be crossed with something else?

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I have no idea, but I'm curious about the answer! Never heard of a pink silkie egg.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I generally give my silkies 8 standard eggs. Usually about half of them hatch, but that is likely more a fertility problem than a hatching problem. I have never set only banty eggs so I'm not exactly sure how many the hen can cover. I'd guess you could try 10 and see what happens.

My darn standard hens refuse to go broody, so I don't have an answer for that one either. [​IMG]

4. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I put 12 silkie eggs under her and put her in a separate cage so she won't be bothered. This summer I had an ameraucana pullet go broody at 7 months old. She sat on 18 eggs but the other hens were adding to her clutch when I finally found her and the nest. I marked the ones in there and removed the new ones but she only hatched out 8. The rest I threw away because she wouldn't leave the nest, and I really didn't want chicks going into the fall here. Now I might be kicking myself to be hatching in the middle of winter [​IMG]
    Thanks for the advice about the amount of standard eggs citygirl. I have my maran roo in with the hens now so I will have fertile eggs whenever another 1 goes broody [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by